Are software synths disposable instruments?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Are software synths disposable instruments?

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm

minime123 wrote:a softsynth will only work for as long as the OS/computer system that it runs on works. and computers are intentionally made obsolete fast. personally, i buy hardware because i dont like paying for products that rely on other products to work - products that are designed to be obsolete quickly.
mini
Its not just planned obsolescence, in this case. The shift from 32-bit to 64-bit is taking a bit longer than 16 to 32 did- shift as in 'ok 32 bit is out, and masses of people move to it'- and 64 bit is killing old apps just as fast as anything else. A surprising number of things run on 16-bit installers, even tho they are 32-bit. The 3d animation industry moved to 64-bit fast, and heck, i have 32-bit versions of some of my 3d applications installed still because of plugins that were never updated to 64-bit. Having the emulation layer (or in some cases, the apps supplying that emulation layer) is something we would have loved in our 3d apps, believe me.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Analog recording is problematic because of the limited providers of tape (I think there's only two left) and no new recorders being made. It's become like keeping a Hammond organ alive. A single reel of 2"/2500' tape for 16/24 track use is over $300. That's good for 30 minutes running at 15 IPS. A typical album will require at least 2 reels, more if multiple takes will be kept.

So it's not all roses sticking with hardware.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 am

Great topic. With two exceptions, I've avoided having any software instruments because of future obsolescence. Regarding other plug-ins, I tried to side-step the whole issue by just using the production and mastering effects that come from Ableton out of the box. I also some have outboard which I use for effects I can't afford to become obsolete.

I always treat the software cautiously, because production becomes an extension of your skills as a musician. Learning these take time, much like playing a piano or guitar with finesse. However, unlike your piano or guitar chops, these are dependent upon which Windows or Apple system we'll be using by 10 years from now...

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:27 am

These days with computers able to run virtual machines and emulations - there's nothing stopping us from using retro old computers with software synths. Just putting that out there - and sorry if it has already been mentioned, but I'm lazy and didn't read all the replies.

However, my big personal take on this topic is:

I prefer hardware synths. I prefer them for many different reasons, and they are usually unique to the actual hardware. However, I'm more prone to getting hardware because of the fact that they are more an "instrument" than can be played and performed with. More tactile and real. The hardware itself offers unique design, feel and usability that attract me to want it. I love electronics and industrial design - so perhaps that's where my love comes from.

Having said that, there are some really cool and useful software products out there - and the ones I generally choose are ones that would be too costly or difficult to recreate in hardware. For example, I've got a lot of the Eventide plugins - love their sound, and they are digital, so I'm not really missing out on much over the hardware - plus they're so much cheaper!

So there's my take ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 am

ranzee wrote:These days with computers able to run virtual machines and emulations - there's nothing stopping us from using retro old computers with software synths. Just putting that out there - and sorry if it has already been mentioned, but I'm lazy and didn't read all the replies.
Technically, there are several things:

entropy
parts supply
etc

Eventually, the parts wear out, and something like, for instance, a Pentium II or III running win 98 is going to be using parts that aren't used anymore. The socketed CPUs of that era, the head sinks aren't used anymore for anything. the RAM is all used or NOS. Any hard drive of a capacity that this theoretical machine would recognize would also be used or NOS because drives aren't made that small anymore, even small SSDs are too big. The parts will wear down and die from normal use, including the CPU. Constant heavy CPU usage wears down a CPU faster. At least an ATX power supply connection is still the same....