AKAI S900 Fed into VX90 over 13-Pin Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

AKAI S900 Fed into VX90 over 13-Pin Interface

Postby HideawayStudio » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 pm

!!Happy New Year to All on VSE!!

Over the years I have found myself a little frustrated by some who have said the notion of feeding samples into the AKAI VX90 (or AX73) from the S900/950 over the infamous 13-pin interface is not worth the hassle of experimenting with. Despite having over 40 synths in my sound design studio to pick and choose from I still keep this combo for good reason. Frankly I hate comments like that and often such statements only drive me more to explore these things... rather too much reminds me of equally rediculous exclamations that Polymoogs sound thin.. my experience of the 203A during several restorations being quite the opposite!

To demonstrate I made this quick test recording showing how many different timbres can be made literally from one complex source oscillator by feeding them into different synth patches on the VX90 (with its internal oscillators switched off).

This combination formed the basis of my first commercial sample library a few years back called S-VX. In this case I sampled around 80 complex oscillators as long single shot samples into an S900 retrofitted with a Lotharek Rev.F HxC disk emulator (there was no way I was going to juggle 80 floppy disks during that mamoth sampling exercise!) and then played them into a full set of patches on the VX90 thus rendering an eye watering number of sonic combinations!

In this case the source waveforms were generated in the main by the Minimoog, JUNO-106 and ARP OMNI-2.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: AKAI S900 Fed into VX90 over 13-Pin Interface

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 am

The VX-90 is 6 (or 3) voice, whereas the S-900 is 8--I had read somewhere that that can create voice cycling issues somehow. Is that the case at all?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby HideawayStudio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:The VX-90 is 6 (or 3) voice, whereas the S-900 is 8--I had read somewhere that that can create voice cycling issues somehow. Is that the case at all?

In short no...

Connecting the VX90/AX73 to an S900/950 is far from self-explanitory and is very poorly documented. It is very possible to get the combo sort of working but not in fact correctly as the synth, sampler and cable need to be correctly configured.

If configured correctly there should be no issues with voice allocation because the VX90/AX73 acts as the note assigner ie. midi is sent to the VX only with the sampler connected to it's midi output (and NOT the thru socket). The VX determines which voices need to be triggered on the sampler, and sends the voice assignments over 6 midi channels to the sampler. The sampler, which must also be correctly configured, fires up to 6 voices back over the 13-pin cable on separate audio channels.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby MomoMusic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 am

Image I just recently picked up an AKAI VX90 and I'm getting a S900 tomorrow so I can hook the two together. I am curious if anyone knows of where I may be able to find the 13 pin cable, or if there is info on how the wiring needs to be configured to make one?

Also, I've been searching for the factory patch tape sounds to load, if anyone has any I would greatly appreciate them! I did DL some from the user "Rasputin", who posted 4 different sound files, but unfortunately I was unable to load any of them.
Here's the link
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98194&p=804091#p791076

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated!
MomoMusic

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:17 am

MomoMusic wrote:I just recently picked up an AKAI VX90 and I'm getting a S900 tomorrow so I can hook the two together. I am curious if anyone knows of where I may be able to find the 13 pin cable, or if there is info on how the wiring needs to be configured to make one?

Also, I've been searching for the factory patch tape sounds to load, if anyone has any I would greatly appreciate them! I did DL some from the user "Rasputin", who posted 4 different sound files, but unfortunately I was unable to load any of them.
Here's the link
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98194&p=804091#p791076

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated!

This cable is a bit long but will work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-13-PIN-M ... 0982763684?

I have the factory tape image and can give you some raw oscillator programs in HxC format for the S900 that will configure the sampler correctly if you want to PM me.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to General Synthesizers