Choir Sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Choir Sound?

Postby evildead2002 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 am

Hi all, just a general question!

Ive always loved a specific type of "choir" sound thats used sometimes. It's not quite like the mellotron choir although that is amazing in itself. A good example is here https://youtu.be/Zbs9mlfEulw
There's a lot going on but it sounds mostly like analog mixed with digital but there's a choir layer too.
Would this be something that's always sampled/vst or is it possible to actually mould one out of analog/digital?
I'm a bit lost with things like this as you can see lol.

Cheers!
evildead2002

Re: Choir Sound?

Postby ItsMeOnly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 pm

evildead2002 wrote:Hi all, just a general question!

Ive always loved a specific type of "choir" sound thats used sometimes. It's not quite like the mellotron choir although that is amazing in itself.

The example you provided isn't even a choir. That's pulse wave filtered, with heavy vibrato, a bit of chorus and too much reverb
ItsMeOnly

Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Postby evildead2002 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:30 pm

[/quote]
The example you provided isn't even a choir. That's pulse wave filtered, with heavy vibrato, a bit of chorus and too much reverb[/quote]

Easy! I did say Choir sound not an exact choir sample, I'm aware it being made from Analog synths that's why I asked because i'm intrigued. To me it reminds me of a choir. Thank you for your help.
evildead2002

Postby stickman393 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:56 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:The example you provided isn't even a choir. That's pulse wave filtered, with heavy vibrato, a bit of chorus and too much reverb

Sorry for butting in but I just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me to develop a beautiful fairlight/polysix choir patch on my Novation PEAK.

A patch a day.... keeps the blues away.
stickman393

Postby evildead2002 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Sorry for butting in but I just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me to develop a beautiful fairlight/polysix choir patch on my Novation PEAK.

A patch a day.... keeps the blues away.

That's great :) and also a synth I haven't looked into yet, it looks amazing i'll have a listen.
I know they are different beasts but do you think the DSI Rev2 is really different to the Peak?
So far the PEAK is sounding a touch more Juno 60 to me, maybe lol.
evildead2002

Postby stickman393 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 am

evildead2002 wrote:I know they are different beasts but do you think the DSI Rev2 is really different to the Peak?
So far the PEAK is sounding a touch more Juno 60 to me, maybe lol.

Alas I have no experience of the DSI Rev2.
The PEAK definitely nails the Juno sound if you want it to, but it is so much more than that. IMO.
stickman393

Postby alan partridge » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

Sounds a lot like something like this :

.. then layered with a polysynth, either analog or hybrid, or digital emulating an analog, all heavily processed with software effects, and possibly some hardware ones too.
alan partridge

Postby knolan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 am

It could be the Korg Symphony modulereleased around the same time as the M1. It had a small selection of not very good sounds on it -but it's choir sound was quite good and adaptable. Vangelis used it to excellent effect in 1492 Conquest of Paradise and one or two other albums of that era (not the main choir in the major themes - that's real choir)- but choir sounds in other instrumental pieces. This sounds quite similar.

Or - related - it could be a choir sound on a Korg O1W because the very last sound on the pieces sounds like one of the presets from the O1W.

just guesses.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby evildead2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:17 pm

alan partridge wrote:Sounds a lot like something like this :

.. then layered with a polysynth, either analog or hybrid, or digital emulating an analog, all heavily processed with software effects, and possibly some hardware ones too.

Sorry I was never notified about your post, thank you so much! Anything like that is helpful plus i'm looking more at VST synths now. Cheers!
evildead2002

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:47 pm

knolan wrote:It could be the Korg Symphony module released around the same time as the M1. It had a small selection of not very good sounds on it -but it's choir sound was quite good and adaptable.

Used to own a Symphony and the choir sound is still one of my favorites, even though by today's standards it's a low quality sample. It just sounds good.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby pflosi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:54 pm

My favorite synth to build up your own choir sounds from scratch is the V-Synth. Sample yourself and some buddies and you will have a nice library soon :thumbright:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Return to General Synthesizers