Prophet VS v1.2 firmware download

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Prophet VS v1.2 firmware download

Postby Berylline » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I was supposed to upload this 2 years ago, but life shenanigans happened. :?
Anyway, here are the download links for the ZIP containing all the firmware files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wvt_tf ... sp=sharing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a932pbafwqvn ... s.zip?dl=0

Please read "readme.txt" and check the checksums with "checksums.txt" before you do anything.

Mods, please tell me if I did anything wrong...
Berylline

Gear: Yamaha DX11, Yamaha PSR-410, Roland D-10(soon to be sold), Boss DR-660

Re: Prophet VS v1.2 firmware download

Postby Rasputin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm

They've been up on http://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37-synth-eprom-dumps for quite a while now, but your effort is appreciated none-the-less.
Rasputin

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Just beware that although Version 1.2 gives you things like data value INC/DEC buttons it loses the free-wheeling LFOs which are now synchronised to key-on events.

Since the VS is all about modulation this has put me off undertaking this upgrade in the past.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 am

HideawayStudio wrote:Just beware that although Version 1.2 gives you things like data value INC/DEC buttons it loses the free-wheeling LFOs which are now synchronised to key-on events.

Since the VS is all about modulation this has put me off undertaking this upgrade in the past.

I would like to have the option to downgrade to OS 1.0, if possible (now that's sounding fairly stupid, isn't it).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:53 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:Just beware that although Version 1.2 gives you things like data value INC/DEC buttons it loses the free-wheeling LFOs which are now synchronised to key-on events.

I would like to have the option to downgrade to OS 1.0, if possible (now that's sounding fairly stupid, isn't it).

Stephen

Interesting - this is what I've deliberately retained in my VS.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 am

HideawayStudio wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen

Interesting - this is what I've deliberately retained in my VS.

I bought it that way, after it had been overhauled thoroughly by Wine Country -- I only learned about the LFO thing later on.

I would have found it fairly useful to have the option to toggle between the different firmware revisions.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Rasputin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 am

It would probably be possible to merge v1.0 and v1.2 to get the best of both worlds. Probably wouldn't take that long to cook up if someone had access to both versions.
Rasputin

Postby iphoenix » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 am

It would be great to have the option of free running lfos or lfos synched to key on.

My VS came with the latest OS & its all I know & what Im used to & Im fine with the lfos being syncd to key press as I find that useful, but it would be really nice to have the choice.

In any case thanks to the o.p. for taking the time & effort .
iphoenix

Postby Rasputin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:03 pm

If anyone wants to downgrade to v1.0 or v1.1 to see what the fuss is about:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gTqbU ... AqlsGny5Mw

Sequential Circuits (SCI) Prophet VS v1.0, v1.1, and v1.2 (final) EPROM firmware--both chips, high and low--are all included.

I don't have a Prophet VS to test any firmware hacks, so I can't volunteer for such a project, but maybe that one oyster in a sea of 7 billion people will do it.
Rasputin

Postby iphoenix » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Thankyou Rasputin,

very kind of you. (& jolly sporting)
iphoenix

Postby Shalebridge » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:49 pm

I've recently begun working on the 68k assembly for the VS and the first thing I did was disable the LFO reset code in v1.2. Eventually when I figure out the memory & button mapping I will make it selectable.

Among other things, I also want to fix the NRPN byte order problem so that any controllers can be used without swapping the LSB/MSB externally.

I'm curious whats going on in v1.1. Never came across that one before.

Thanks to John Manfreda and his "Virtual VS" emulator which let me test ROM code changes without burning new EPROMS every time.

Here is the preliminary new version 1.3. Been using it in my hardware VS for days now.

Prophet VS r1.3a OS

Any help, requests, problems, let me know!
Last edited by Shalebridge on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalebridge

Gear: Crumar DS2, Crumar Roadrunner, PPG Wave 2.2 w/factory MIDI, MG-1, MicroKorg, Moog Opus 3, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Oberheim DX, Univox SR-95, Omnichord
Band: Pataphysics

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Shalebridge wrote:Here is the preliminary new version 1.3. Been using it in my hardware VS for days now.

Stellar post, sir! =D>
Rasputin

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Very cool!
desmond

Postby schmidtc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for this work Shalebridge!
schmidtc

Postby Shalebridge » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 am

Here are some v1.3 updates:

Most of this would be way easier if I could rearrange the code without having to change the branch cross references in the entire thing. As it stands I am using empty space at the very end of the eprom for my code.

Figured out most of the panel switch addressing, then coded a way to enable key-synced LFOs while holding down a button ("Enter" for example).

Then, I started using memory addresses basically at random to get the "enable" to latch. This will take some time... My first memory area would disable key-sync LFO if you hit the Mod Dest button. The second choice would disable if you edited Wave C's fine tuning. With the memory address I'm using now i have not found the bug yet, but it is probably there...

Now for cool stuff... As it stands presently, I can hold "LFO Select" and hit a key... key-sync turns on. Hold "Cartridge" and hit a key, it turns off. The buttons are totally arbitrary and can be changed to anything. The amazing thing though is that right now it SAVES the selection PER PATCH.

There's bound to be a bug somewhere since I'm shooting blind with memory addresses, but it is neat nonetheless. Once I burn some eproms to test on my hardware VS I'll post a video.
Shalebridge

Gear: Crumar DS2, Crumar Roadrunner, PPG Wave 2.2 w/factory MIDI, MG-1, MicroKorg, Moog Opus 3, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Oberheim DX, Univox SR-95, Omnichord
Band: Pataphysics

Next

Return to General Synthesizers