Prophet VS v1.2 firmware download

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Prophet VS v1.2 firmware download

Postby Shalebridge » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

More updates on r1.3 ... or maybe it should be r1.4 now. Changes from r1.2 in bold.

1. NV PROGRAM NUMBER: Program Number is now remembered after power off

2. DATA INC/DEC: Data increment/decrement function has been added for fine adjustment

3. LFO SYNC: By default the unit has freerunning LFOs. If you change the 8th digit of the patch name to an 'S' then both LFOs are synced to the keys. If the 8th digit is an 'X' only LFO 1 is synced. LFO 2 will freerun.

4. ARP SYNC: Arpeggios are synced with the playing of the first note. Clock is reset when the first note is played.

5. MASTER TUNE: Under the master tune screen a field has been added which provides a +\- 12 semitone transposition.

6. LOCAL ON/OFF: Under the MIDI options switch a screen has been added to provide local keyboard enable and disable.

7. NRPN MSB/LSB IN & OUT: The original software had the byte order flipped LSB->MSB so many controllers (BCR2000, BeatStep Pro, etc) would not function correctly. This has been fixed.

Still wanting to explore the Midi Mode 4 code for aftertouch possibilities.
Shalebridge

Gear: Crumar DS2, Crumar Roadrunner, PPG Wave 2.2 w/factory MIDI, MG-1, MicroKorg, Moog Opus 3, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Oberheim DX, Univox SR-95, Omnichord
Band: Pataphysics

Postby N871 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am

Hi, just a question, but would it be doable to make midi parameter enabled on power-up? Or at
least have the vs save your choice?

The VS saves all midi settings except for this one (because according to the manual you would rarely change the
parameters over midi... ...), it would be so nice to power it up and have this working immediately.

(do you think the VS could ever respond to polyphonic aftertouch, for volume/filtering or so, using this midi mode 4?)
N871

Postby madtheory » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Wowsers. Call Trent Reznor ASAP.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby charlieclouser » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm

madtheory wrote:Wowsers. Call Trent Reznor ASAP.

f**k that, call ME! I have a VS keyboard and a VS rack, both on v1.2 and I'm thirsty for the Shalebridge v1.3 OS!

Sadly, I can not burn my own ROMs - so I'll be hounding anyone who can to burn and sell me two copies when Shalebridge is finished with v1.3.

Any ROM burners out there want to make a few bucks?
charlieclouser

Postby N871 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm

a real cool addition to the firmware would be this:

on the hardware VS the mix envelope is always on, so if you hold a note or chord and drag the joystick to A, you will hear A exclusively**, but if you play a new note it jumps back to the mixing coordinates of point 0 (point 0 of the mixing envelope), ignoring the current position of the hardware joystick.

On the VS app by arturia you can switch off the envelope and use the joystick to make a mix yourself and when you play new notes the timbre will stay the same (=coordinates of the position of the joystick).

very cool! and in fact how I expected the VS to work before I purchased one..

To simulate how it would work like on the real VS, I programmed something in max msp that changes the coordinates of all mixing points at the same time, which makes it possible to move to a certain coordinate (by sending the midi date for all mixing points) and keep it on that coordinate when playing (triggering) new notes. But because it's quite some data, there is latency. **Also to hear osc A exclusively, I have to send data to have a coordinate between A and D...anyone else encountered this problem? because it also happens while holding a note or chord and moving the onboard joystick (instead of sending midi) towards A. I can't get osc A to sound exclusively by setting the joystick near A, and my joystick works perfect (it gives the right coordinates on screen)

EDIT: when using the edit waveform program (which bypasses the mix envelope and finally allows you to have fixed blends with the joystick) I somehow do not longer have this problem of having to put the joystick between A and D to hear A exclusively. I put it to A, and only osc A sounds: perfect! why doesn't it work like this when using the normal program edit mode?? Is it a bug in the firmware? Something wrong with my unit?
N871

Postby madtheory » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 pm

charlieclouser wrote:
madtheory wrote:Wowsers. Call Trent Reznor ASAP.

f**k that, call ME!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby N871 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:15 pm

I found three bugs in V1.2 (they might been there in previous versions too)

according to the manual the parameter split point should be able to be controlled using the midi message
176 98 60 176 99 0 176 38 x 176 6 x where x stand for a value between 0-127
176 98 60 176 99 0 should select the parameter, which it doesn't do.
176 38 x 176 6 x always changes the parameter, this is working well.

I tested all parameters, the only other one I found not working:

176 98 86 176 99 0 should select the arp rate, also not happening.
When I send midi from the VS to my computer by moving the slider when arp rate is selected it outputs
176 98 86 176 99 0, so the code is correct but only works in one direction...

I'm also not succeeding in sending joystick XY data to the VS.
N871

Postby Shalebridge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 am

Been looking at these issues the past few days. Good find on the Split Point/Arp Rate bug... it is in every version of the OS. Still trying to figure out why this is happening...

Testing the joystick on all OS versions seems to work as it should when no Mix Modulation is going on... if I move it to 'A', only 'A' is heard. Also, sending midi to control the joystick XY works fine in performance mode though the "position" is relative to wherever the control is when you hit a key. That is controlled by CC 16 & 17.
Shalebridge

Gear: Crumar DS2, Crumar Roadrunner, PPG Wave 2.2 w/factory MIDI, MG-1, MicroKorg, Moog Opus 3, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Oberheim DX, Univox SR-95, Omnichord
Band: Pataphysics

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers