KORG Prologue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

KORG Prologue

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

We called it, people. And Korg have finally done it. One LFO seems an odd choice. But...16 voice VCO polysynth! It is what people have been begging for. I think it compares nicely with the announced Waldorf machine and comes in at 2/3 the price and twice the polyphony (for the 16 voice).

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2018-korg-aims-for-the-high-end-with-the-prologue-a-polyphonic-analogue-synth
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: KORG Prologue

Postby HideawayStudio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Holy cow its expensive though!.. expecially considering how inexpensive the reissues of the CEM VCOs are in volume.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby HalloweenJack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:31 am

Mmmmhhh I have to say that I'm quite disappointed: ok a 16 analog poly with two real VCOs that can be mixed with the third digital oscillator looks interesting, but it has only a 12db filter (no 24db, no high pass filter), there is no aftertouch, only 1 lfo, well it's bi-timbral so if you layer the lfos are two, but in this case purchasing the 16 voices it's very important, I think that these are serious omissions and it's too expensive...
HalloweenJack

Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card (Roland D50), Yamaha FS1R, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Korg Monotron Duo, Korg Monotron Delay
Band: The Electrician

Postby megamanx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 am

offer different colors like the monologue, then we talk.
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby alan partridge » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am

Love the sound of this thing. A lot of character, and a ton of low end.
alan partridge

Postby Broadwave » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am

Releasing an SDK to create your own Oscillators and FX is a stroke of genius... exactly what Roland should have done with the System 8 to make your own Plug-outs.
Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MX49, Ultranova, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, and some guitars

Postby HalloweenJack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 am

Great video, they cover quite well all the functions:

Watch on youtube.com
HalloweenJack

Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card (Roland D50), Yamaha FS1R, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Korg Monotron Duo, Korg Monotron Delay

Postby Walter Ego » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm

HalloweenJack wrote:Mmmmhhh I have to say that I'm quite disappointed: ok a 16 analog poly with two real VCOs that can be mixed with the third digital oscillator looks interesting, but it has only a 12db filter (no 24db, no high pass filter), there is no aftertouch, only 1 lfo, well it's bi-timbral so if you layer the lfos are two, but in this case purchasing the 16 voices it's very important, I think that these are serious omissions and it's too expensive...

It is true that it doesn't have a couple features that one would hope for on an otherwise fully spec'd instrument. However, in true Korg fashion, it offers a lot of bang for the buck, albeit with some notable flaws. There always seems to be something missing from a Korg machine, but that's been their MO for some time. I'm willing to forgive it pretty readily since they have been a leader in the analog renaissance and have truly listened to what their fans/musicians/users are asking for.

HideawayStudio wrote:Holy cow its expensive though!.. especially considering how inexpensive the reissues of the CEM VCOs are in volume.

I guess it's relative. I don't have inside information when it comes to parts and components, so I'm willing to trust what you say. However, even the $2K price for the 61 key/16 voice version seems pretty reasonable to me. This is more in competition with the Waldorf Quantum in my view than with the Behringer DM. It might be tight competition between the DSI Rev 2 and the Prologue, though.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Postby thestreets » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 am

No more step sequencer? That was my favorite feature of the other 'logues! Am I greedy for still wanting it even with all the other s**t they've added?
thestreets

Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Postby Walter Ego » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

thestreets wrote:No more step sequencer? That was my favorite feature of the other 'logues! Am I greedy for still wanting it even with all the other s**t they've added?

However, it has a nicely featured arp with several modes. And it has layers and splits. Reminds me a lot of Jupiter 6 features. Have a bass arp going on one side and unison lead on the other...hours of jamming right there.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Postby HalloweenJack » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote:Mmmmhhh I have to say that I'm quite disappointed: ok a 16 analog poly with two real VCOs that can be mixed with the third digital oscillator looks interesting, but it has only a 12db filter (no 24db, no high pass filter), there is no aftertouch, only 1 lfo, well it's bi-timbral so if you layer the lfos are two, but in this case purchasing the 16 voices it's very important, I think that these are serious omissions and it's too expensive...

It is true that it doesn't have a couple features that one would hope for on an otherwise fully spec'd instrument. However, in true Korg fashion, it offers a lot of bang for the buck, albeit with some notable flaws. There always seems to be something missing from a Korg machine, but that's been their MO for some time. I'm willing to forgive it pretty readily since they have been a leader in the analog renaissance and have truly listened to what their fans/musicians/users are asking for.

I understand your point of view, but when I hear the words used by Korg with the Prologue, "our new flagship symthesizer", I immediately thought at a full featured synth, with multimode filters, 3-4 LFOs, aftertouch, extensive modulation matrix, because for me a flagship synth is a full featured machine.

Korg made another choice instead, they made a "limited" flagship synth :lol: , and that's fine with me because I really like limitations, I think that limitations are incredible creative "forces", I obtained things with my Monotrons and Sigma that I never thought were possibile, so for me the Prologue is more a kind of specialized synth with some very interesting features, there's not on the market a 16 analog poly with VCOs that can be mixed with a digital oscillator.

Maybe at the end what really matters is how it sounds and if we like the way it sounds, and from the YouTube videos the Prologue sounds really nice, obviously I want to try it in the real life...I've been thinking about purchasing an analog poly for some time, I tested the OB6, the Prophet 6, the Rev2, also the Peak which is an hybrid, and for different reasons I found that all of them were missing something, I'm saying that I have to accept the fact that the perfect synth does not exist ;) and all the synths have their strenghts and their own limitations :roll:
HalloweenJack

Postby philip » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:50 pm

alan partridge wrote:Love the sound of this thing. A lot of character, and a ton of low end.

a joke?Have you heard anything like this?

Watch on youtube.com
philip

Postby alan partridge » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 am

philip wrote:
alan partridge wrote:Love the sound of this thing. A lot of character, and a ton of low end.

a joke?Have you heard anything like this?

Watch on youtube.com

Not comparing like with like there - none of it's competitors sound like that either tbh. Plus I reckon it actually has more* of the bass end than the trident, with modern features, even if it's only got one part of its flavour. Sounds like a cross- recipe between one half a trident, two slices some sort of oberheim , a dw-8000 dressing and a modern synth topping to me, like others have mentioned on synthtopia, gs etc. Plus that clip has got analog effects all over the shop almost like with a stringer, which some people reckon the trident is- only ever owned a polysix, so dunno if they come with the trident etc.
alan partridge

Postby vin14 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm liking it. Sure it's missing a few things, but that's fine with me. I enjoy simpler synths. The youtube videos sound great to me. Funny the Trident has been brought up here, as the analogue side of it reminds of one, only clean. The Trident, even without the flanger is pretty noisy, at least mine is. I could probably push myself to afford the 8 voice version. I have had my eye on similarly priced the system 8, but now I'm not sure.
vin14

Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Postby clubbedtodeath » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Walter Ego wrote:It might be tight competition between the DSI Rev 2 and the Prologue, though.

IMHO it's not even close. The Rev2 has sub oscillators, 4 LFOs that can be routed to almost anything (including other LFOs), 8 separate modulation routings, and waveshaping for each waveform. It's about £100 more, but the modulation options give it depth and subtlety. I'd take it over most vco polysynths more than twice its price.
clubbedtodeath

Next

Return to General Synthesizers