Classic Synth Paint

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sandwich

Classic Synth Paint

Post by sandwich » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Does anyone know what kind of paint was used to paint the faceplates of synths like the Juno 6 and Jupiter 8? The lettering looks slightly raised and glossy almost like an enamel paint?

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Re: Classic Synth Paint

Post by Broadwave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 am

sandwich wrote:Does anyone know what kind of paint was used to paint the faceplates of synths like the Juno 6 and Jupiter 8? The lettering looks slightly raised and glossy almost like an enamel paint?
They're usually screen printed with either a two part epoxy paint (which cures at room temperature) or one that has to be "baked" to harden. The panels themselves are either Anodised aluminium or powder coated steel.

I prefer to screen print with a two part epoxy onto aluminium ;)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks Broadwave,

That's very useful info thanks. I really fancy having a go at this. Now I just need to find out how to make the screen. I'm a graphic designer and good with Illustrator so I can make the graphics no problem, just need to find out how to get those graphics onto a screen :? :D

Regards
Dave

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

Wow I've just noticed you're not far from me! Do you know of a powder coater that you can recommend for doing the black background of the faceplates?

Dave

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:04 pm

You should check out the JP8 restoration blog that's currently in-progress:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... ocessions/
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am

sandwich wrote:Wow I've just noticed you're not far from me! Do you know of a powder coater that you can recommend for doing the black background of the faceplates?

Dave
Ashton Powder Coating just off the M60 - They usually turn a job around within a week.

I use a UV process to get my designs onto the mesh (It's very much like making a PCB - UV expose, develop and wash). I get most of my supplies from https://www.art2silkscreen.co.uk/. The first attempts I made at screen printing were dreadful, but you can always wipe off the ink and try again - It's worth it in the end ;)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 am

That's great thanks for that Andy, really want to try this :D is this also where you get the two part epoxy paints from?

ericvin

Post by ericvin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

sandwich wrote:Does anyone know what kind of paint was used to paint the faceplates of synths like the Juno 6 and Jupiter 8? The lettering looks slightly raised and glossy almost like an enamel paint?
Have you tried contacting the company through email? Sometimes the easiest answer is right in front of you.