Prophet VS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Prophet VS

Postby Hyde » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:34 pm

I've had this hidden dark obsession for a long time now & it's surfacing. Sequential Circuits Prophet VS.
I've looked into other Vector Synths & they just don't seem to have the same sound. My searches come up fruitless when I try to find if a clone is made. Does anyone build one? Was the VS rare? I don't see them pop up for sale, too often.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Suggestions?
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Re: Prophet VS

Postby gs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

The Korg Wavestation was the closest next thing that ever came out of the "vector" synth idea. Korg in fact used (and licensed) Dave Smith's ideas and technology for that synth.

However, the Korg is all digital and doesn't have the analog filters of the VS. The VS can be seen as a kind of mutant stepchild between a classic Prophet 5 and a Wavestation.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.
gs

Postby Z » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 pm

The John Bowen Solaris has all of the Prophet VS waveforms but instead of a vector envelope, the Solaris has a Rotor function that will sweep through 4 different oscillators which you can choose from a variety of sources from VS waves, Waldorf wavetables, traditional waveforms and .WAV samples.

The DSI Evolver series offers all the VS waveforms for their 2 digital oscillators, but no vector synthesis.

BTW, I'm selling a VS rack that needs some work done to it.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Fatbenelton » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Hmmm....might be interested in the VS rack....what are the issues? (and how much do you want?)
Jonny Jones
Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: OBSX, Jupiter 4, Trident,Korg 800DV, Minimoog, SH2, JV2080, WSAD, Nyborg, TX802, EX8000, KS5, SY35, GEM S2, Crumar Performer, RX5, KR55, Minipops7

Postby balma » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 am

I had one on early 2000s, the vector synthesis allowed smooth transititions between four waveforms and control the with a stick, placing each waveform on the 4 cardinal points.

Such type of programming can be achieved with the EMU Command Station in a very, very close range. Each knob controller can be programmed to transit between 2, 4 or even 12 layers. That means, I can program a knob in such way that one waveform will have a smooth decrease in level while another one will increase it. Knobs' polarity can be reverted and can modify multiple parameters at the same time. Consider it as a "2 polarities vector transition" (left -right) , not 4 like on the VS. (left, right, up down). However, the EMU Command Station it can resemble the vector synthesis transition very well
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby minime123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm

the VS is a really special synth. the TG33 and wavestation are both vector synths too, and both are worth having if you're into vector synthesis, but they're no replacement for a VS. we just got 2 VS keyboards and will probably keep one of them to use along with the rack in our studio, since editing is so much easier from the keyboard (once all tact switches have been replaced). the other will be for sale once we're done fully restoring it. be careful when buying a VS - they can have really strange problems that are tough to spot. I've noticed a couple glitches as well that are normal behavior.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hyde » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:30 am

minime123 wrote:the VS is a really special synth. the TG33 and wavestation are both vector synths too, and both are worth having if you're into vector synthesis, but they're no replacement for a VS. we just got 2 VS keyboards and will probably keep one of them to use along with the rack in our studio, since editing is so much easier from the keyboard (once all tact switches have been replaced). the other will be for sale once we're done fully restoring it. be careful when buying a VS - they can have really strange problems that are tough to spot. I've noticed a couple glitches as well that are normal behavior.
mini

I saw your post on instagram. I'm curious but, pretty sure it outta my price range, at this moment. I downloaded the Prohet V trial software but, it really didnt speak to me. I think I need to stockpile some more money & find a good VS, at that point. Hopefully, someday, someone decides to recreate this beast.
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Postby iphoenix » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 am

OP. If you want that sound (Prophet VS) without getting an actual Prophet VS, in my opinion ,the Waldorf Microwave (original) would probably be the closest in sound.
The original Microwave apparently came in 2 revs & one of them has the same filters as the Prophet VS ,(though apparently the Prophet VS also comes with 2 different versions of fillers, but both are CEMs.

(Im not referring to the MW2 here re. both MW revisions)

Some users of both synths also say that the PPG Wave 2.2 /2.3 (of which the MW1 was based on) can sound very similar to the Prophet VS.

The Ensoniq ESQ1 also would be a contender for possibly getting close to the Prophet VS in sound ,again it also has the same CEM filters as the P.V.S.

The Microwave ,PPG Wave, ESQ1 & Prophet VS are all digital/analogue hybrids, with digital waveforms & CEM analogue filters, though one of the Microwaves & one of the PPGs has SSM filters.

Another option IMO would be to get a Prophet 2000 /2002 sampler, which I think could sound similar to the VS, with appropriate waves/samples,& programming as again, same filters, close to each other in design timing & engineering etc.

Edit :
One totally unique thing about the Prophet VS is the way modulation & envelope looping can affect the sound.
It can sound very organic (for want of a better term) ,also ,grainy, metallic, woody, & much more, but some of the effects of fast modulation between the waves ( vectoring) ,produces very unique cross modulation type sounds , sometimes quite FM -like ,very unpredictable & dramatic often , especially working from 'random' edit mode as a basis. Think clanking machines, industrial steampunkt labs , retro space scape impressions eg,

I was surprised when I first got mine @ 2001 , how in more traditional subtractive synthesis roles, it can sound like many classic analogue synths, especially, the Prophet 5 (not surprisingly, same filters as rev 3 on many VS s,) Moogs, Oberheims etc IMO. It can sound very analogue or extremely digital or both.

Dont even think about trying to get Prophet VS sounds using other vector synths, eg. Korg Wavestation (even with its onboard actual Prophet VS waves) or the Yamaha SY22/35/TG33, as apart from being interesting |& good sounding synths themselves, & all sharing some of the principal designers /engineer team of all those synths ; they cant get the 'classic' analogue filter /organic tones of the VS,(because they dont have analogue , nor even any resonant filters at all).

For reference, Im a long term owner of a Korg Wavestation & a Prophet VS.
Last edited by iphoenix on Fri May 04, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iphoenix

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 am

or a Prophet 12, but on that you'd need to use an external X-Y pad or similar to set up vector synthesis
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Hyde » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:05 pm

iphoenix wrote:OP. If you want that sound (Prophet VS) without getting an actual Prophet VS, in my opinion ,the Waldorf Microwave (original) would probably be the closest in sound.
The original Microwave apparently came in 2 revs & one of them has the same filters as the Prophet VS ,(though apparently the Prophet VS also comes with 2 different versions of fillers, but both are CEMs.

(Im not referring to the MW2 here re. both MW revisions)

Some users of both synths also say that the PPG Wave 2.2 /2.3 (of which the MW1 was based on) can sound very similar to the Prophet VS.

The Ensoniq ESQ1 also would be a contender for possibly getting close to the Prophet VS in sound ,again it also has the same CEM filters as the P.V.S.

The Microwave ,PPG Wave, ESQ1 & Prophet VS are all digital/analogue hybrids, with digital waveforms & CEM analogue filters, though one of the Microwaves & one of the PPGs has SSM filters.

Another option IMO would be to get a Prophet 2000 /2002 sampler, which I think could sound similar to the VS, with appropriate waves/samples,& programming as again, same filters, close to each other in design timing & engineering etc.

Dont even think about trying to get Prophet VS sounds using other vector synths, eg. Korg Wavestation (even with its onboard actual Prophet VS waves) or the Yamaha SY22/35/TG33, as apart from being interesting |& good sounding synths themselves, & all sharing some of the principal designers /engineer team of all those synths ; they cant get the 'classic' analogue filter /organic tones of the VS,(because they dont have analogue , nor even any resonant filters at all).

For reference, Im a long term owner of a Korg Wavestation & a Prophet VS.

Thank you for the insight! Give me some options to think about.
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Postby Hyde » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Ashe37 wrote:or a Prophet 12, but on that you'd need to use an external X-Y pad or similar to set up vector synthesis

Aso, thank you!
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Return to General Synthesizers