Roland S-330 OLED display upgrade?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland S-330 OLED display upgrade?

Postby teevee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Vintagesynth community,

I was inspired by the following topic:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81070&p=759270

I would like to upgrade the 16 x 2 LCD screen to OLED and found out from LLamamusic.com that, the original part is called „DM1620-5BL7” (this is also used for D-110, U-110 and GR-50).

I cannot find any information about the original DM1620-5BL7, but I found the following when I search for DM1620:
https://4donline.ihs.com/images/VipMast ... 5675-1.pdf

Dimension on DM1620:
Outline: 85(W) x 32.6 (H) x 10 (T)
Min. viewing area: 60.5 (W) x 15.5 (H)

I found the following page with overviews of OLED from Winstar and they have 9 different variations in format 16 x 2:
http://www.winstar.com.tw/products/oled ... splay.html

I cannot find the model, which would replace the above-mentioned DM16020 size-wise.

Questions:
There are three concerns in this process:
1. Dimension wise (which model would fit?)
2. Which interface / BUS / protocol is Roland S-330 using? (6800, 8080 or SPI)
3. The Wiring / Pin mapping.
teevee

Re: Roland S-330 OLED display upgrade?

Postby Rasputin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 pm

teevee wrote:I cannot find the model, which would replace the above-mentioned DM16020 size-wise.

Questions:
There are three concerns in this process:
1. Dimension wise (which model would fit?)
2. Which interface / BUS / protocol is Roland S-330 using? (6800, 8080 or SPI)
3. The Wiring / Pin mapping.

I don't have a Roland S-330 in front of me, nor am I intimately familiar with its display but...

#1 - You presumably have access to this display, so just measure it, yo. ;)
#2 - 6800, 8-bit parallel (highly likely) -- the original display is probably using an HD44780 or clone
#3 - Pinout should be exactly what you'd expect for this type of device:

1 - Ground
2 - VDD (aka +5VDC supply voltage)
3 - VO (aka Contrast)
4 - RS (Register Select)
5 - R/W (Read/Write)
6 - E (Enable)
7~14 DB0~7 (data lines)

15 (LED +) - 5V
16 (LED -) - Ground

I don't think you should have much, if any, trouble finding a replacement display for the S-330. From what you've said, I'd guess that WEH001602D is the closest match, but I'm not saying for sure that would work.

If it's the correct physical size, it looks like you'd have to swap pins 1 & 2 around, but I'd double-check the pins on the original display with a multimeter first, and that the datasheet for the new display is correct. I don't know why Winstar would reverse those, but it seems they did.
Rasputin

Postby squatski » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 am

damn! I just realized something!!!!! I sold my s330 2 weeks ago! I was gonna mount a new OLED display for it! I forgot to include it in the box when I sent it! so I have a spare.
part Lazyness, part not enough free time off work I never fitted it, the guy I got it from on ebay was sound, he helped me fit an OLED into my DX11. Need to sort things out, gonna have the heads up here if anyone wants it??
squatski

Postby squatski » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 am

damn! I just realized something!!!!! I sold my s330 2 weeks ago! I was gonna mount a new OLED display for it! I forgot to include it in the box when I sent it! so I have a spare.
part Lazyness, part not enough free time off work I never fitted it, the guy I got it from on ebay was sound, he helped me fit an OLED into my DX11. Need to sort things out, gonna have the heads up here if anyone wants it??
squatski

Postby teevee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 am

squatski wrote:damn! I just realized something!!!!! I sold my s330 2 weeks ago! I was gonna mount a new OLED display for it! I forgot to include it in the box when I sent it! so I have a spare.

Hi squatski,
Thank you for the reply. Do you have pictures of this spare OLED, which you bought from eBay for Roland S-330?

You mentioned, that you also bought a OLED upgrade for your Yamaha DX-11 from same guy, I think some users here could be interested in seeing more close-up pictures of those parts here too for documentation reasons :)
teevee

Postby alnitak » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't have an S-330, but I've been poking around inside my D-110 this evening.

The pin-out on that (despite what I've previously read about VDD and VSS pins being swapped) was fine on the Winstar OLED that I connected up temporarily. I already had one wired up with a 14 pin ribbon cable for compatibility with E-Mu synths and it "just worked".

The WEH001602D is indeed the right width and height (85 x 30mm) but beware that the actual display characters start about 2mm further to the left that on the original LCD so your text may appear off center. It's also about 4mm thinner, meaning that without modifications to the mounting it'll end up recessed further back behind the display glass than it should be.
alnitak

Postby teevee » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

alnitak wrote:I don't have an S-330, but I've been poking around inside my D-110 this evening.

The pin-out on that (despite what I've previously read about VDD and VSS pins being swapped) was fine on the Winstar OLED that I connected up temporarily. I already had one wired up with a 14 pin ribbon cable for compatibility with E-Mu synths and it "just worked".

The WEH001602D is indeed the right width and height (85 x 30mm) but beware that the actual display characters start about 2mm further to the left that on the original LCD so your text may appear off center. It's also about 4mm thinner, meaning that without modifications to the mounting it'll end up recessed further back behind the display glass than it should be.

thanks for the feedback!

when I have more time, then I really need to do this with my Roland S-330 and D-110!
teevee

Postby alnitak » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:36 pm

I think the confusion arises because per Roland's pin-out diagrams *every* pair of pins is swapped around compared to the industry standard LCD pinout.
alnitak

Return to General Synthesizers