Ensoniq ESQ-1 Hidden Waves question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq ESQ-1 Hidden Waves question

Postby lunaquesa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

So I have the standard 3.5 OS installed, and I know you can access the hidden Waves that way by importing SQ-80 patches with waves outside the original ESQ set. You can scroll down through those waves but never back up. If you install Eproms with the Hidden Waves OS, does that let you scroll freely up & down through the hidden Waves, or can you still only scroll down through SQ-80 patches with waves outside the original ESQ range?
Sorry if this question has been answered before, I've been unable to find if it has in all my digging.
lunaquesa

Gear: Oberheim Matrix 6 & 1000, Ensoniq ESQ-1, E-mu Emax SE, Yamaha DX7 & DX100, Kawai K3, Korg MS-20, Korg Wavestation, Alesis Quadraverb, Akai M-9

Re: Ensoniq ESQ-1 Hidden Waves question

Postby Big Gnome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 am

It disables decrementing with the up and down buttons (although you can still navigate normally with the data slider; only wave selection is affected), but you can advance up to (I think) wave 255.
It bears mentioning that apart from the first couple of waves beyond the standard rom (which are heavily bandlimited waves mapped in the upper registers of some of the standard ones), the others are not coherent waves themselves, but rather access non-audio parts of the rom and read it out in unpredictable ways. It's awesome for weird, glitchy, polyrhythmic stuff, but stable timbres are pretty elusive.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p
Big Gnome

Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Postby solitud » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Big Gnome wrote:It disables decrementing with the up and down buttons (although you can still navigate normally with the data slider; only wave selection is affected), but you can advance up to (I think) wave 255.

I have created and downloaded a custom OS from http://www.buchty.net/~buchty/esq1/customize.html
I can use the up and down buttons and the slider even with normal ESQ patches. I can advance to wave 127. While most of the waves are static noise and such somehow many of them can be played chromatically. Recommend.
solitud

Gear: Ghosts and Ghouls

Postby Ashe37 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am

its not technically static noise. You're playing part of the ROM program of the synthesizer... you're listening to data, as sound.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Return to General Synthesizers