Brand New to All of This

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Brand New to All of This

Postby Korg » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello all, I’m super brand new to synthesizer hardware. I have no background in music at all besides listening to electronic music.

My current genre I’m absolutely in love with is Synthwave/Outrun.

I’m thinking of picking up a Kaossilator Pro+ to tinker around with. It looks to be fairly straight forward and user friendly.

Anyone have any protips for a newb like myself?

Side note, my user name is not based on the company Korg. It was an old World of Warcraft name I gave myself over a decade ago, little did I know that it was a company. It has always stuck with me when making online Alias’.
Korg

Re: Brand New to All of This

Postby Mark76 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey, welcome!

I'm no veteran here and I've only just got back into it myself in the last few years. A lot has moved on/changed since then so I'm kind of like a newby also.

Depending on what type of music you want to create. I would say firstly decide if you want to go through the whole DAW/soft synth route or using hardware. This was the biggest dilemma I faced. I kept flipping between the two. I'd play around with Ableton for a bit then I'd get back into making beats on my TR707 then back to Ableton.

Anyway, most recently I've finally decided that hardware is the way forward for me. No Ableton just making music in a really primitive way. Sometimes when computers are involved the fun factor disappears! Time taken setting up preferences, troubleshooting etc etc. I just like switching on and making a noise!!

With that in mind, you're idea of the Kaossilator sounds a good move. I've never used one but I kind imagine they are really fun and something I wouldn't mind trying out myself. Have you looked at the Akai samplers too? I'm still doing my homework on a hardware sampler. The Roland Sp404 seems to be in my shortlist at the moment.

One thing I would say, if you're going down the hardware route, is to study each piece of kit in depth. I've only just got into the detail with my MX1. It's amazing what you find out studying the manuals and you'll find the extra knowledge helps no end in improving the music you create. Roland hardware is notorious in having multiple functions on each button. If I'm honest Roland gear IMO isn't the easiest to learn from the start but it doesn't take long once you get into their headspace!

Overall don't buy anything yet, look into the demos on YouTube. It's really easy (and cheap) to make music using hardware. When I first started back in 1992/3 decent gear was really expensive. As a 16 year old i couldn't afford much. The beauty of things nowadays, is that everything is so cheap and accessible.

Have you seen those Teenage Engineering operators for example? Mad as a box of frogs but amazing fun!
Perhaps a tad limited if you want to get serious but a brilliant little device to start off with.

I'm sure others here will have much more knowledge than me, but hopefully what i've said helps things a little.

Best of luck with it!
Mark76

Postby Zamise » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 pm

Don't get a kaossilator first, maybe get later, instead get something like an electribe where you can build more complete songs on it. There is a line of electribes so maybe study up which may suit you best (EMX1 is prob my fav) however they are all good starter synth/samps/seqs made by Korg.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby Korg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Mark76 wrote:Hey, welcome!

I'm no veteran here and I've only just got back into it myself in the last few years. A lot has moved on/changed since then so I'm kind of like a newby also.

Depending on what type of music you want to create. I would say firstly decide if you want to go through the whole DAW/soft synth route or using hardware. This was the biggest dilemma I faced. I kept flipping between the two. I'd play around with Ableton for a bit then I'd get back into making beats on my TR707 then back to Ableton.

Anyway, most recently I've finally decided that hardware is the way forward for me. No Ableton just making music in a really primitive way. Sometimes when computers are involved the fun factor disappears! Time taken setting up preferences, troubleshooting etc etc. I just like switching on and making a noise!!

With that in mind, you're idea of the Kaossilator sounds a good move. I've never used one but I kind imagine they are really fun and something I wouldn't mind trying out myself. Have you looked at the Akai samplers too? I'm still doing my homework on a hardware sampler. The Roland Sp404 seems to be in my shortlist at the moment.

One thing I would say, if you're going down the hardware route, is to study each piece of kit in depth. I've only just got into the detail with my MX1. It's amazing what you find out studying the manuals and you'll find the extra knowledge helps no end in improving the music you create. Roland hardware is notorious in having multiple functions on each button. If I'm honest Roland gear IMO isn't the easiest to learn from the start but it doesn't take long once you get into their headspace!

Overall don't buy anything yet, look into the demos on YouTube. It's really easy (and cheap) to make music using hardware. When I first started back in 1992/3 decent gear was really expensive. As a 16 year old i couldn't afford much. The beauty of things nowadays, is that everything is so cheap and accessible.

Have you seen those Teenage Engineering operators for example? Mad as a box of frogs but amazing fun!
Perhaps a tad limited if you want to get serious but a brilliant little device to start off with.

I'm sure others here will have much more knowledge than me, but hopefully what i've said helps things a little.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks for responding? I’m wanting to get into the hardware side. It looks fun. Like I’m actually doing something with the hobby. Computers will always be around to do everything but I like having dedicated things for the hobbies I get into.
Korg

Postby groy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Zamise wrote:Don't get a kaossilator first, maybe get later, instead get something like an electribe where you can build more complete songs on it. There is a line of electribes so maybe study up which may suit you best (EMX1 is prob my fav) however they are all good starter synth/samps/seqs made by Korg.

I second this. Kaossilators are best served if you have other gear to run through them. EMX1 is perfect starting place. If you get a used one and don't drop it or anything it will hold it's resale value so can always pass it off and move onto something else later. It synchs well with other midi gear too and can act as a capable, albeit simple, sequencer if you add gear down the line.
Last edited by groy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groy

Postby Korg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Zamise wrote:Don't get a kaossilator first, maybe get later, instead get something like an electribe where you can build more complete songs on it. There is a line of electribes so maybe study up which may suit you best (EMX1 is prob my fav) however they are all good starter synth/samps/seqs made by Korg.

Ok good stuff to look into. Thank you!
Korg

Return to General Synthesizers