My YAMAHA SY77 repair

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

My YAMAHA SY77 repair

Postby EB5AGV » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi all,

Recently I got a YAMAHA SY77 which had seen for sure better days. But I love to fix electronics gear (even it is now my main work :) ), so I decided to give it a full electronic restoration, as physically there are some things which could not be easily fixed, so I have left them as-is. Let's say they give some character to this classic synth :mrgreen:

Here you have the WEB page I have setup on my site. I will soon add more information as I continue working on it. But, so far, the big works have been already done. I hope you enjoy it!

My YAMAHA SY77 repair

Best regards,

Jose
EB5AGV

Gear: YAMAHA SY77

Re: My YAMAHA SY77 repair

Postby baz99 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am

Good job, I wish I had your soldering skills, as I have many electronic devices that need repairing (not just synths).
baz99

Postby EB5AGV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am

baz99 wrote:Good job, I wish I had your soldering skills, as I have many electronic devices that need repairing (not just synths).

Thanks for your kind comments. Where are you located?

BTW, in order to improve your soldering skills... you need to practice soldering! ;)

It is true that I am soldering since I was 9... and that was 41 years ago :lol: , but soldering (at the usually needed level) it is not a difficult thing to do, and helps quite a bit when you have this kind of hobbies.

Best regards,

Jose
EB5AGV

Gear: YAMAHA SY77

Postby madtheory » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Great blog- very good general tips on synth repair. Labelling the connectors, I honestly never thought of doing that lol! Thank you for posting.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby knolan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:57 am

Agree with madtheory - brilliant blog. As an SY77 owner I've bookmarked it for future reference. Good luck with the rest of the repair (the diskette rubber band replacement requires a steady hand - but works a treat once done :-) ) .
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to General Synthesizers