Boutique SH01a ...Pretty nice.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Boutique SH01a ...Pretty nice.

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:19 am

Got a little while ago the SH01a with the K25m keyboard (for me the convenience here overrides the added keyboard price...). :mrgreen:
Never owned a SH101, but all I can say is the SH01a sounds really really good. The Boutique format also works great here: the controls/sliders are easy to manipulate with no overcrowding and the unit sports a sturdy metal face plate.
And then, the added features like high freq LFO, 4 voices, patch & seq memory, etc.. So overall very happy with this little thing.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Re: Boutique SH01a ...Pretty nice.

Post by ranzee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 am

It probably is the best boutique to be honest - for 4 reasons:

1) It sounds like an SH-101 (without being pedantic, it is pretty close)
2) It has 4 voices polyphony - so it is bigger than a mono synth
3) It has an awesome sequencer, I love it!
4) It can sound like a Juno :

[youtube][/youtube]

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:12 pm

I've always had a precarious relationship with roland gear, due to their at first vexing user interfaces, but I'm actually pretty impressed with the tr-8 and h**l even the tb-3 which I picked up on a whim. I've never owned or used the originals, but the former definitely sounds better than any sample set I've encountered.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:23 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:vexing user interfaces
Which Rolands? When I acquired a Jupiter 6, I had no need for a manual because it was laid out so intuitively. Now I have a Juno 60; I've never seen a simpler user interface, except maybe on the venerable Korg Synthe-Bass. Even the Volcas are more complex than a Juno.

On the other hand, my experience with Roland gear is fairly limited. I had an MC-307 which I eventually just got rid of, as well as the SH-32. Way too fiddly. Powerful, no doubt. But still pretty fiddly.

As much I want to gripe at Roland for the names of their Boutiques, the SH-01A does look intriguing for the sequencer. It does do simple CV sequencing like the original 101, correct? This might justify it as a much more robust alternative to the simplistic SQ-1 or the MicroBrute's sequencer.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Picked up a blue one - love it! Brings me back to when I had an MC-202 (1983 or so), but much more fun and useable for what I do. And it’s blue, so it sounds better. Did I mention it’s blue? :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 am

Walter Ego wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:vexing user interfaces
Which Rolands? When I acquired a Jupiter 6, I had no need for a manual because it was laid out so intuitively. Now I have a Juno 60; I've never seen a simpler user interface, except maybe on the venerable Korg Synthe-Bass. Even the Volcas are more complex than a Juno.
The TR-626 I used to own and the JV-1080 I currently own both required a bit getting used to. Any old knobby analog is going to be pretty straight forward obviously. For the record I don't mind editing matrixes or menu diving, its just that most of the digital yamaha, akai, and emu gear (aside from their samplers) just seemed to feature more logical UI's.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:The TR-626 I used to own and the JV-1080 I currently own both required a bit getting used to. Any old knobby analog is going to be pretty straight forward obviously. For the record I don't mind editing matrixes or menu diving, its just that most of the digital yamaha, akai, and emu gear (aside from their samplers) just seemed to feature more logical UI's.
Right on. Those digital interfaces can get mind numbing. I don't mind simple numerical editing ala Poly-800 but menu and page diving gets tedious. Like I said, I never got a handle on the MC unit I had. Even the SH-32 had some fairly non-intuitive features.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)