Any Roland D110 users out there? Tips needed :)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Any Roland D110 users out there? Tips needed :)

Postby theelectricmike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 am

Hi There

I thought I'd finally sign up to the forums after oggling this site for ages and ages!

I have a number of vintage synths in my studio, but one that I've been trying to get my head round for ages is the Roland D110. Basically when I got it there didn't seem to be any patches working on it, so I used a sysex factory reset on it which kinda works. I now have some patches on there, but patches 1-30 appear to be the same, the rest are fine.

I've seen a bunch of commercial patches available online, and I was wondering if anyone had any reccommended patches for the D110, maybe any freebies, or commercial ones I don't mind at this point, I'd just like to load some decent sounds on there! The patchman ones look good, but the site is mega old, and I'm worried if I pay for the patches nothing will happen...

I know lots of people will say they don't like the D110, so please refrain from saying 'buy a D50'. I have this now and I'd like to get it working. I may buy a D50 as well in the future though, I'm getting the collecting bug!
theelectricmike

Re: Any Roland D110 users out there? Tips needed :)

Postby Korgyamaharoland » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi theelectricmike,
I also use the Roland D110 and I love this machine. If you know how to program it (which is probably hard), you can have nice and original sounds!
Did you try the Atari Editor with emulator? As far as I know, there are a lot of sounds for Atari ST edtitors.
I take a look at my harddisc at home, if I find some, I´ll send them to you.
Maybe I have sysex sounds, too (for MIDI-OX) ;)
Korgyamaharoland

Postby Mesmerised » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi,
the most difficult thing with the D-110 is understanding its data structure!
The Patches in the D-110 (the d-10/d-20 don't have these!) are actually sets of settings for all the 8 (plus R) parts! That's why they're rather empty/generic.
The actual sound patches are called Timbres referring to Tones.
So, you chose a Part in which you call up a Timbre which refers to a Tone (which in turn can have up to four Partials.)
And the settings of all the Parts can be saved into a Patch.
Yes, it's complicated!
Take a look here:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69170 ... =12#manual
Mesmerised

Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Postby ShoutingAtSpiders » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi,

I've spent a fair bit of time programming the D-20 and understand it's architecture quite well. if you like these sounds. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQ47niCMUQ

. . . then, I can send them to you.

One of the things I did when programming the D-20, was to use only the User Tones in the internal memory and mapped the 64 User Tones to Timbres 1 to 64, which allowed me to conveniently make MIDI Program changes between the 64 sounds, like I would on any other synth. All Timbres were set to Single Assign - Last Note Priority to minimise any problems when maximum voices were being used. I also found the D-5 manual had more information on Ring Modulation, than the D-20's manual did.

Alternatively, it looks like I have about 42 D110 sys-ex files, some of which appear to be Factory banks. I don't know what's in them all, but they have names like DRUMS, FLUTES, BRASS, FX, GUITARS, BASS, PIANO, ORGAN, SYNTH, VOCAL etc. I also have a number of D-10, D-20 banks I've collected over the years.

You can have them if you want them.
ShoutingAtSpiders

Postby malkav30 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 am

Hi,
I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm the proud owner of 2*D110 and one D10, which are my synths of choice to build virtual analog sounds on the cheap.

Both synths are quite different in their use as they share the same memory structure except for the patch section.
A patch on the D10 consists basically of two tones, in the D50 fashion. If you want to reproduce this on the D110 you have to create a patch with two parts on the same midi channel, each part containing the tone you want.

If you dig into the factory presets of the D110, you'll find some even more powerful patches, which leverage the 8 parts to achieve a great stereo panning, using e.g parts 1 to 3 on the left, 4-5 on the center and 6-8 on the right, for a stunning effect that cannot be achieved with D10 patches. You can find such presets on the factory bank n°6.
By the way, the D110 came with plastic cards descripting it's factory patches. You can easily find a pdf of these on the web. It provides some insights on how a big lead sound can be achieved with the D110. Given that the D10 is already a pretty capable synth in this field, you can only dream of what you can achieve with the D110 and a little patience.

One thing to keep in mind though. The D110 is a powerful beast, but from my experience, the so-called resonant filter can be very noisy when pushed, to a point where it becomes painfully glitchy. I didn't encounter the same glitches on my D10, and my two D110 have the same noisy filter, so I assume this is a difference in design.

As for the D-10 banks, I have found that Valhala had released cards for both the D10/20/5 series AND a separate D110 series. I assume that theses specific cards contain D110 formatted patches, which would be very instructive to analyse. If anyone has sysex or atari-format dumps of these, I would truely appreciate the sharing. I can provide the sysex dumps of the 3 official roland cards (only D10 patches though) if you need.
malkav30

Return to General Synthesizers