Beginners Synth Setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gilmour928

Beginners Synth Setup

Post by Gilmour928 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I am going to buy my first analogue synth pretty soon, likely a Korg Minilogue, but I'm wondering what else I will need to have a complete home setup? i.e. speakers, DI, mixer etc. Any recommendations would be a great help too!

Cheers.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Beginners Synth Setup

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Depends on what you mean by "a complete home setup." If you want you could go all the way and get professional gear, but if you're just going to be, say, recording one track at a time into a DAW, all you really need is a decent ADC or proper sound card (don't use your computer's onboard audio hardware, just don't) and a decent set of headphones.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Gilmour928

Post by Gilmour928 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Depends on what you mean by "a complete home setup." If you want you could go all the way and get professional gear, but if you're just going to be, say, recording one track at a time into a DAW, all you really need is a decent ADC or proper sound card (don't use your computer's onboard audio hardware, just don't) and a decent set of headphones.
I already have ableton and logic DAW's, and have a pair of beyerdynamic DT770's. But I would like to be able to play through a set of speakers ideally as I find playing through headphones too claustrophobic. I just don't know what I need in order to hook the synth up to a pair of speakers as I feel a mixer would be overkill, and the synth doesn't have a XLR out. I'm more just struggling with signal flow :lol:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:09 pm

"audio interface".

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the mixer, if you are going to rely on it for recording. If you feel you need a speaker system, get the best sounding you can get. keep your eyes open, locally. Ive seen good power amps & speakers go for really good prices on local craigslist. As mentioned above, I use headphones 95% of the time. If I use speakers, its just for a quick reference or mixing. I have a home A/V power amp that I picked up for $15 at Goodwill. I have a decent set of monitors that I bough new, many years ago & didn't sell, because the return wasn't worth it. If you have multiple keyboards, you'll need a mixer, of some sort. If you dont need one now, keep looking for a good one, on the cheap. Good used mixers show up pretty often
Makin' Noises