Roland A80 Midi Controller - Select Output Socket for a Zone

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland A80 Midi Controller - Select Output Socket for a Zone

Postby scottie_uk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 pm

So, I have just got a used Roland A80 to replace a Studiologic 880. The Roland feels so much nicer. However, there is something I can't work out. I've gone through the manual for the A80 and despite what people say about it being hard to read, I was able to make sense of it.

I see the A80 has four zones. What I was not prepared for is it seems each zone outputs to a different midi output socket numbered 1 to 4.

In performance mode, my sound module (Roland JV-2080) is able to receive input on one midi socket and play several patches together, each assigned to a different midi channel. My Fatar/Studio Logic SL880 allowed me to stack up to four zones to one midi output. This enabled me to play four patches at once, or split the keyboard four ways, and have play from the JV2080.

To get the Roland A80 to do that, I need the four zones to broadcast on a single output (midi socket). However, I cannot find a menu option to set the output socket for a zone and the manual did not discuss it either. It seems such a simple thing to do, its such a great keyboard, I'm sure it must be possible.

If anyone knows for sure it it can or cannot be done, let me know.
scottie_uk

Re: Roland A80 Midi Controller - Select Output Socket for a

Postby Rasputin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 pm

According to the manual, each zone must be on a unique channel not a unique MIDI jack output. The physical outputs are supposed to send all the same data -- in other words, be identical duplicates of each other.

I know that's not particularly helpful, but it's odd that you're running into this problem.

My understanding would be that if you assign zones 1-4 the entire keyrange, then assign zone 1 to channel 1, zone 2 to channel 2, etc. then you'd have a stacked instrument of whatever patches on your module were assigned channels 1-4. The results should be the same regardless of which A80 MIDI out jack was connected to the module -- so long as no MIDI outputs on the A80 were muted/soloed.
Rasputin

Postby scottie_uk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I think you may be right. For one moment I had that working, where zone 1 was midi channel 1, zone 2, was midi channel 2, zone 3 midi channel 3 and zone 4 midi channel 5 (Just to see it if worked). Yes, my JV2080 picked them all up provided I assigned each patch to the respective midi channel.

That was this morning. I've come back to the machine and oddly cannot get it to do that now. My best guess is the memory battery needs changing. Does that sound plausible?
scottie_uk

Postby Rasputin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 am

I've heard that the A80 does crazy things on a low battery, so it's plausible.

Battery is a garden variety CR2032. Reinitialize by pressing "Channel" while holding down the first, third and fourth buttons under the display, then press any cursor button.
Rasputin

Return to General Synthesizers