Super Rare Mulogix Slave 32 in Action

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Super Rare Mulogix Slave 32 in Action

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:26 am

I recently resurrected a gorgeous Mulogix Slave 32 which is the uber rare expanded rackmount version of the DK Synergy II+.

According to its creator only around 25 of these beasts exist. The GDS/Synergy/Slave 32 were early all digital FM/additive 32 oscillator synths with 16-bit audio. Amazingly, all variants including the 1979 GDS featured two full sets of 32 x 16 stage loopable envelope generators which were interpolated between depending on the note velocity so it is possible to make sounds respond dynamically to velocity in all manner of interesting ways:

Although the later DX series share a lot in common I have always thought there is a warmth and beauty about this family of synth that the DX series seems to lack.

Incidentally, here are two playlists I put together of the other variants in action:

Speaking of cherished old synths - I have made a playlist of some of my vintage synth tests and demos:

coastalscrub

Re: Super Rare Mulogix Slave 32 in Action

Post by coastalscrub » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 am

Gorgeous! I’d assume that you lose the floating-split keyboard function from the Synergy but does the Mulogix Slave 32 keep the polyphonic portamento?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am

Fantastic.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm

coastalscrub wrote:Gorgeous! I’d assume that you lose the floating-split keyboard function from the Synergy but does the Mulogix Slave 32 keep the polyphonic portamento?
The Slave 32 retains most of the features of the DK Synergy including all of the Split and Portamento Modes. It also features a larger user memory area for patch memory (two ROM banks and two RAM banks as well as the Cartridge).

The MIDI implementation is a little better too - but not vastly improved and the unit still very much relies on communication with the SynHCS patch/bank edit system running on a Kaypro computer under CP/M.

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sun May 06, 2018 2:56 am

I declined to buy one of these when they were first available. One of the worst decisions I’ve ever made.
Now, unattainium.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com