moog grandmother

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

moog grandmother

Postby megamanx » Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 am

new synth, looks cool.

https://youtu.be/7nNfRcuPUks
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: moog grandmother

Postby Walter Ego » Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. I like the look of it much more than recent offerings of the past decade--they did away with the curved back panel and turned back to the look of their late 70s offerings. I think it's pretty cool that they are trying to distill the features and character of some of the important modules from the late 60s/early 70s is a great idea. The sound in the video has a lot of character. This would be pretty affordable for a Moog of its caliber, and the integration with other patchable gear is a great idea. This is an exciting synth to me. I think this could be the Moog for the masses in a way that their other recent synths haven't been.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby Kenneth » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm pretty intrigued by the synth itself, and I love the idea of including a real spring reverb. I don't understand why Moog has chosen to initially release it exclusively through Guitar Center. This makes me feel weird about it, like Moog is sort of whoring itself out to a company that isn't even doing well. Anyone have any thoughts about that?
Comparison is the thief of joy.
Kenneth

Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Postby nuketifromorbit » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm actually kind of shocked that the street price is only 899. I was expecting it to sell for around 1500.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby nuketifromorbit » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

All the people over at muffwiggler are bitching about the ascetics, but I dunno I kind of love how it looks.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tim gueguen » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 am

The looks remind me of the Opus 3.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound
tim gueguen

Postby Mooger5 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 am

I think it resembles the EMS Polysynthi.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby knolan » Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 pm

At first it looked quirky - but after watching the video on it's design and construction, it quickly grows on you - and - it sounds great, looks really well built and is more substantial that it first appears. And agree - the price is not bad at all.

At the centre of it all - I just love the way Moog just lay the engineering behind these devices bare - they're so confident and believe in in what they do. Sure these are promos, but it does look like a smart organisation who know exactly what they are doing, and seem to have their finger on the pulse of modern synthesis and synthesis applications across the various electronic genres.

I know this this is a subjective point - to me, the many smaller synth releases - like the monologue or minilogue - come across as stripped down versions of "something" that's supposed to be bigger - but Moog's releases don't come across this way - whatever their size, they come across as a complete, "meant to be" system.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Hyde » Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 am

Southcenter (GuitarCenter), in Seattle supposedly has one. Looks like a cool piece. I'd love to play around on one!
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Postby emilysuper » Sat May 19, 2018 12:06 pm

damn this looks so much cooler than the visual design of the phattys
emilysuper

Return to General Synthesizers