esq1 os compatibility

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

esq1 os compatibility

Postby uHu » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Trying to make an old metal Ensoniq ESQ1 work again, after being stored for 20 years. Since the battery was empty, all the different sounds were gone - That's what happens on OS version 2.0, I've learnt. So I got hold of eproms with OS 3.5, since that would also restore the 40 original sounds. After changing battery and eproms, the esq1 does not boot up. Nothing works. I put back the old eproms, and it's back to the one default sound in all positions. So the thingy works, but the new eproms don't.
So, the question I have for those with knowledge is: Is there a compatibility problem with the early version (metal) esq1 and the OS 3.5? Or is it likely to be a problem with the eproms I got?
uHu

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ1
Piano
Wrench and soldering iron

Re: esq1 os compatibility

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Do you have an EPROM reader/programmer to calculate the checksum of the exact chips you have?
Rasputin

Postby uHu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 pm

No, it is 35 years since I worked with those. I got the proms ready made from italy. I'm now sending them back for double checking them.
As the older metal version and the newer plastic version are quite differently built, I thought that there might be some difference that made the newest OS incompatible. But even if the layout is different, they can still be made with the same components and the same schematics.
uHu

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ1
Piano
Wrench and soldering iron

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:25 pm

uHu wrote:I got the proms ready made from italy. I'm now sending them back for double checking them.

Aside from being burned correctly (or not), it's also possible that they are labelled incorrectly such as the high and low are switched. If so, this would 100% cause the ESQ1 to freeze at boot.
Rasputin

Postby Baus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:30 am

I have a metal case ESQ-1 with Version 3.5 so that is not the problem.

Robin.
Baus

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes, 3.5 ROMs should work in any ESQ-1. Sounds like bad ROMs to me.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to General Synthesizers