Synths used by Wire (English post-punk group)?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synths used by Wire (English post-punk group)?

Postby Armonia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm a synth noob working with an ensemble on songs from the English post-punk group Wire. There are some subtle synth effects I'm trying to replicate. Songs in particular include "The 15th" and "Map Ref" (both released in 1979; I think they tried to get Eno to do the synths, but their producer did them instead).

Anyway, my question: Any leads on replicating these sounds? I especially like the simple and ethereal flute/strings in The 15th, but it's eluding me.

While I have a hardware TX81Z, I'm currently performing with a variety of synth emulators available for the iPad (Syntronik, Moog Model D, FM Player). With all these resources I thought it would be easier matching sounds, but it's not, not for me at least.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Armonia

Re: Synths used by Wire (English post-punk group)?

Postby Music Bird » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

Armonia wrote:I'm a synth noob working with an ensemble on songs from the English post-punk group Wire. There are some subtle synth effects I'm trying to replicate. Songs in particular include "The 15th" and "Map Ref" (both released in 1979; I think they tried to get Eno to do the synths, but their producer did them instead).

Anyway, my question: Any leads on replicating these sounds? I especially like the simple and ethereal flute/strings in The 15th, but it's eluding me.

While I have a hardware TX81Z, I'm currently performing with a variety of synth emulators available for the iPad (Syntronik, Moog Model D, FM Player). With all these resources I thought it would be easier matching sounds, but it's not, not for me at least.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I hear some string synth and a monophonic synth. No idea which ones, but maybe an ARP Omni was used. The ARP Omni was a string synth that had divide down technology. I don’t hear any FM sounds actually. The main synths of post punk were cheap monosynths, and stringers, along with a Farfisa organ doing the organ parts. Heard the EDP Wasp is popular with them. I heard the songs, and I heard some sounds that wouldn’t be hard to create on any polyphonic analog synths.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby Micke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

English producer/musician Mike Thorne did the keyboard/synth work on Wire's first three albums and on this particular album (154) he used a Yamaha CS-80 and an EMS Synthi AKS.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Armonia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses! One modern-day analog synth that has been suggested to me is the Waldorf Streichfett.
Armonia

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Great album! They got progressively more synthy as the years went on. I like The Ideal Copy a lot too. That sound is nothing special, and any filtered dual oscillator or chorused poly synth would work.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Return to General Synthesizers