E-MU EMULATOR II+ Work Log

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: E-MU EMULATOR II+ Work Log

Postby AlphaC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi azone

Yeah the EMuSer will definitely be installed so I'll take a board thank you =D>
AlphaC

Gear: Access Virus classic rack Novation Supernova Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 TC M350 Synthesizer dot com modular synth

Postby Mooger5 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Epic thread! Quite surprised to see a "lost case barn find" coming back to life. Hats off to you, sir.
That 30 yo E2 will probably turn up in a much better shape than most today.
So I have nothing to add but words of encouragement.
Keep up.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby AlphaC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Epic thread! Quite surprised to see a "lost case barn find" coming back to life. Hats off to you, sir.
That 30 yo E2 will probably turn up in a much better shape than most today.
So I have nothing to add but words of encouragement.
Keep up.

Thank you for your kind words Mooger5 ;-) That really help's.
I bet there are lots of nice restored examples around, I'll be happy as long as it works as it should :mrgreen:
AlphaC

Gear: Access Virus classic rack Novation Supernova Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 TC M350 Synthesizer dot com modular synth

Postby celebutante » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:02 am

Hey Azone...

I had the good fortune to acquire a showroom mint Emulator II+HD last year (with original box!). I'd gladly take one of those EMuSer PCB's off your hands (for whatever you deem fair $$$) if you're interested.

Best,

Mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com
celebutante

Postby azone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 am

celebutante wrote:I'd gladly take one of those EMuSer PCB's off your hands.
Check your PM
azone

Postby AlphaC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi Guys!
New display installed.

Still working on the digital board, changing sockets. Its time consuming so it will take a while.
Going to start some keybed work next I think.
AlphaC

Postby azone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am

^nice. the boards look good. it looks like you replaced the pots and stuff too.

I know you have your power supply squared away but I wanted to share my latest drop-in replacement. It's a direct replacement for all EII/+/HD. Based around the RT-85C- the analog +13.2V, +12V, and -15V rails are fully post-regulated with trimmer adjustment. It's all mounted on a thick 2mm PCB and is plug and play with the original EII connectors. Anyone interested should start seeing details on the usual sites in the next few weeks.

Also, I'm going to do a detailed review of the EII overlays that are available and the pros and cons of each. I talked to John Hill at Synhouse this past weekend and he may be convinced to make an EII+ version if you can get a few people together and convince him. He already has all the tooling from the standard EII overlays and wouldn't need to change too much.
azone

Postby AlphaC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi azone
That's a really spiffy psu you made :thumbsup:
I want one, sign me up!

And i'm game for a EII+ overlay too if it should come to pass.

AlphaC
AlphaC

Postby azone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:42 am

...so I'm probably going to paint one of the EII shells soon. The closest color match to any standard color system is PMS 7545C, basically close to #425563, RGB(66,85,99) etc.. (of course don't use your shitty uncalibrated computer screen for color matching).
Instead of starting off with the PMS color and mixing from there, I'll probably just have the paint store color-match the power supply tray in a satin polyurethane enamel. I have a texture spray gun w/ hopper and should be able to match the original texture so I'll probably bite the bullet save the money, and spray it myself. I'll update if and when it gets done.

I still plan to post some details on available overlays when I have time..
azone

Postby AlphaC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Cool azone, i'll be watching =)
The PMS 7545C looks very close indeed. How do you fine tune the texture?

AlphaC
AlphaC

Postby azone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:16 pm

To match the texture you use a texture spray gun that has a variable hole size or multiple holes and you tweak the paint thickness and air mixture to match. Basically trial and error on a bunch of cardboard first. The reason I want to spray in texture is because the shell has dings that go all the way to the bare surface. If I don't spray in texture it won't look as good, and like most of us I'm a perfectionist.
azone

Postby AlphaC » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Cool azone, looking forward to see the result : )
AlphaC

Postby clusterchord » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 pm

what a fantastic thread. great job so far, with the whole refurbishing adventure. always great to see such dedication bringing a beautiful instrument back to life.

and thanks to all for sharing. fact is, every emulator owner will need as much info and resources to keep it going, sooner or later.

i found mine, a HD+ version, 2 months ago in UK. luck wanted the seller was driving to a vacation spot not far from me, so he dropped it off personally. it has been previously serviced. new display. HD is of course dead, and one floppy too, but it has been replaced with HxC.

i'm thinking about Emuser, and have a dillema whether to go with hardcore installation like @azone did. or just get that emuser cable that the guy on eiiforums is selling. installation is of course cheaper.

@azone do you possibly have any PCBs left? :D thanks.

i already sampled some ppg and sh101 in it, and the tone character imparted from its lofi engine, pitch transposition and analog backend, is truly magical..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc
clusterchord

Band: Nimbus Dei

Postby AlphaC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:13 am

Thanks Clusterchord and to everyone that has contributed to this thread. As you said, the contents of this thread might help other Emu II owners in the future.

Looks like you got lucky with a mint looking unit :thumbsup:

Regarding the Emuser USB connection, that depends on if you want to make a hole somewhere or not =)
I believe I will make a hole, but try to find a nice and small panel connector.

AlphaC
AlphaC

Postby AlphaC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Small update - new ic's for the digital board :mrgreen:

AlphaC

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers