Roland JX3P issue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland JX3P issue

Postby HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello everybody!

I was offered a JX3P in "as new" conditions, really I think that the owner never used it :D , he' s a very good friend of mine, a piano player, a preset guy, in 1984 he wanted a DX7 for the electric piano sounds but it was too expensive and ended up purchasing the JX3P, and obviously he was disappointed, it was not what he was looking for, that's why he never used it...

Well I tested it and it looks like everything is working, except for the led of some buttons (from 8 to 16) which don't light up, when I push the buttons they work, the patches are changing, but the little red led lights don't light up, even though when we left the synth on for a few hours, 5-6, they suddenly began to light

I'm wondering if it could be an easy issue to fix or if it could be a more problematic scenario, my doubt is that there is an "hidden" problem and the led that are not lighting are only the top of an "iceberg" :lol:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Re: Roland JX3P issue

Postby Rasputin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pm

There should be a ribbon from the mainboard to the front panel which carries the grouping signals for the LEDs. Probably just needs a little wiggle/reseat.

P.S. Marked as CN6 (connector 6), I think.

I'm also assuming you mean 9-16, not 8-16.

P.P.S. Since they have eventually lit up, it's probably just that ribbon cable, but even assuming they were permanently out, it would very likely be one single transistor (TR21) on the panel board, or IC33 (LS174) on the mainboard, and that's still not a big deal -- relative to vintage synths and all.
Last edited by Rasputin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin

Postby HalloweenJack » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Rasputin wrote:There should be a ribbon from the mainboard to the front panel which carries the grouping signals for the LEDs. Probably just needs a little wiggle/reseat.

P.S. Marked as CN6 (connector 6), I think.

I'm also assuming you mean 9-16, not 8-16.

P.P.S. Since they have eventually lit up, it's probably just that ribbon cable, but even assuming they were permanently out, it would very likely be one single transistor (TR21) on the panel board, or IC33 (LS174) on the mainboard, and that's still not a big deal -- relative to vintage synths and all.

Thank you, this helps a lot!!! =D>
HalloweenJack

Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay

Postby HalloweenJack » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Just to let you know that now I have the JX3P, I had it for 350 euros which is less than the current prices here in Italy, after 2 days of extensive use I can say that everything’s working fine except the leds from 9 to 16 which don’t light up as I wrote, in the next few days I will look at the ribbon from the mainboard...
HalloweenJack

Postby rutsch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am

rutsch

Return to General Synthesizers