Kiwi 3P for my JX3P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay
Band: The Electrician

Kiwi 3P for my JX3P

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Hello everybody!

I was looking for the PG200 controller for my new arrived JX3P, well I‘m finding that is easy to program the JX3P without the controller (I am used to the FS1R, THAT is an horrible user interface!! :lol: :lol: ), but just to have some “hands on” fun :D , and here in Italy a PG200 goes for 300 euros on the used market...

For the same amount of money I can have a Kiwi 3P mod (there’s a distributor in UK) which, as you all know, transforms the synth in a completely different beast, and I am very tempted, I like “complex”synths and “complex”sounds, even though I know that editing the synth after the upgrade without a controller will be more complicated because of the many parameters (maybe I can purchase a BRC2000 later)...

Anyway, I’m asking for some advices from someone who made the upgrade from JX3P to Kiwi 3P, the pros and the cons, would you do it again or there are some regrets?

Thank you in advance!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Kiwi 3P for my JX3P

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Read this article:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ki ... cs-kiwi-3p
It's by Gordon Reid. He's seriously into synths. Owns a lot of them, including a Yamaha GX-1! So I think he knows :) I've always found his reviews agree with mine anyways, FWIW LOL.

HalloweenJack
Gear: Roland V Synth with VC1 card, Yamaha FS1R, Roland JX3P, DSI Mono Evolver, Korg Arp Odyssey module, Korg Sigma, Roland JDXi,Korg Monotron Duo and Delay

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 am

madtheory wrote:Read this article:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ki ... cs-kiwi-3p
It's by Gordon Reid. He's seriously into synths. Owns a lot of them, including a Yamaha GX-1! So I think he knows :) I've always found his reviews agree with mine anyways, FWIW LOL.
Thank you for the article, it’s very convincing :thumbsup:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 am

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 pm

I've done it. It is rather easy to do from a soldering standpoint. It also gives the synth a lot of additional functionality.

I'd suggest getting a hardware controller/programmer like the Behringer BCR2000 to go with it. As programming is limited to the original buttons, it gets like of confusing from the front panel.

I think production of the upgrade is ending soon. So order quickly. However, I don't see that stated on the webpage any longer.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Ok I found a Kiwi 3P mod here in Europe (Signal Sounds - Glasgow), in this way I don’t have to pay import duties, well until Brexit :x :lol: , so I’ve better to hurry up :lol:

It’s 300 euros (!!) and I have to pay my tech to do the job for me since I have no soldering experience, but from what I’ve read, and thank to your advices, I am convinced that it’s worth the price, so I will go for it :thumbsup:

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:I think production of the upgrade is ending soon. So order quickly. However, I don't see that stated on the webpage any longer.
Webpage now says at the end of 2018.
-- R.