ESQ-1 behaving strangely, any help would be appreciated

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

ESQ-1 behaving strangely, any help would be appreciated

Postby musichascolors » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 am

Hi,

Please excuse the long-winded and (overly) detailed explanation, I'm just really trying to get to the bottom of what's causing issues with this synth.

I've periodically had issues with my ESQ-1, though it had been stable for a few months prior to this new issue.

When I booted the synth up after returning from a trip, it ran fine. Then I turned it off and got dinner, booting it up again upon returning, it made no sound and the screen was dark. After hitting the underside of the synth, it booted back up, and all was well. I then used it, and turned it on and off for the next hour or so, and all was well.

Then, I booted it up, and the synth turned on fine, however no patches were making a sound, this was an issue I'd encountered before, so I removed the cartridge and did a hard reset. Well, now all the (initial) patches are making sounds, however it's not reading the cartridge, despite the cartridge indicator light turning on. It was reading the cartridge before the hard reset, it just wasn't making any sound. So, somehow, the hard reset caused it to no longer read the cartridge... (sigh)

Any advice would be appreciated. I've tried multiple hard resets and they result in the same status.

Thank you
Last edited by musichascolors on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musichascolors

Re: Hard reset my ESQ-1 and now it's not seeing the cartridg

Postby musichascolors » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:53 am

Well, I was able to "resolve" the issue by sending my internal bank to cart bank a, which then seemingly caused the esq1 to remember that it could read carts, and allow me to read cart b.

*sigh*
musichascolors

Re: ESQ-1 behaving strangely, any help would be appreciated

Postby musichascolors » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 pm

If anyone has experience with this issue, help would be appreciated...
musichascolors

Postby rhino » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 am

Number one problem with ESQ-1, and SQ-80 seems to be bad contact on the cables. Open the synth up, unseat cables one at a time (draw yourself a diagram to show which way each connector goes - several can be put on backwards , or one pin off) use DeOxIt liquid (bottle with brush) on each connector, then replace. let us know.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby musichascolors » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks, are you referring to the molex connectors? If so, is a special tool required to unseat them? I tried to do this procedure in the past, with the molex connecting the main board to the power supply, but I was unable to easily remove it. What's the technique/tool for removing them?
musichascolors

Postby musichascolors » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I removed the molex connector, I think there was a bit of dust inside, cleaned it, all seems well and now the synth doesn't make a rising high pitched sound when I power it off. Hopefully this holds...
musichascolors

Return to General Synthesizers