Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Postby NCChao1268 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 am

At the song at 10:16 listen through and you'll hear the beautiful sounding PWM sound that sounds very detuned and VCO like. It is an old French/Vietnamese love/pop song. What synth do you thing it is? It kind be created on almost any analog synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmlgV5z ... PVg&t=664s

-Nate
NCChao1268

Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Re: Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Postby Music Bird » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Have you tried that on your Juno-106? Sounds like one, or another Roland synth. Maybe even a Polysix? When was this released? Maybe it’s even a Jupiter-6, Prophet-5, or Oberheim OB-Xa. A lot of the Vietnamese diaspora Music productions like Asia Entertainment back in the day used Juno and Jupiter and JX. Could be any old analog synth. The Jupiter-8 is very close to it sonically, kind of reminds me to the Memorymoog or Polysix.
Sounds a little like this
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20Juno ... 20Bell.mp3
That sounds almost like the song. With a bit of tweaking, you can get close. I’d say use square and sub though, and definitely chorus and PWM. Sounds like the Juno chorus in the song. I hear Juno-60 or JP-8 arpeggio bass and plucks throughout the whole album. Maybe you could get a JP-08? You could easily recreate those synths on a Juno-106 though.
Korg, Casio and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths
Acoustic guitar, harmonicas, recorders, flutes, tin whistle, kazoo, egg shakers, log drum, pellet drums, xylophone bowl.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Return to General Synthesizers