Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Post by NCChao1268 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 am

At the song at 10:16 listen through and you'll hear the beautiful sounding PWM sound that sounds very detuned and VCO like. It is an old French/Vietnamese love/pop song. What synth do you thing it is? It kind be created on almost any analog synth.

-Nate

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Re: Hear this beautiful PWM sound on this 80's song

Post by Music Bird » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Have you tried that on your Juno-106? Sounds like one, or another Roland synth. Maybe even a Polysix? When was this released? Maybe it’s even a Jupiter-6, Prophet-5, or Oberheim OB-Xa. A lot of the Vietnamese diaspora Music productions like Asia Entertainment back in the day used Juno and Jupiter and JX. Could be any old analog synth. The Jupiter-8 is very close to it sonically, kind of reminds me to the Memorymoog or Polysix.
Sounds a little like this
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20Juno ... 20Bell.mp3
That sounds almost like the song. With a bit of tweaking, you can get close. I’d say use square and sub though, and definitely chorus and PWM. Sounds like the Juno chorus in the song. I hear Juno-60 or JP-8 arpeggio bass and plucks throughout the whole album. Maybe you could get a JP-08? You could easily recreate those synths on a Juno-106 though.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.