Korg M1 Problem, Only UP button responding

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg M1 Problem, Only UP button responding

Postby KorgM1Repair » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 am

Hey!

I bought a (cheap) Korg M1 and it has buttons which aren't working. Otherwise it looks like it is in good condition.

I watched a few Youtube videos where they switch the buttons but the difference is that on my M1 none of the buttons (except UP button if pushed multiple times and hard) work and it seems a bit odd that all of the buttons would go out at the same time.

So my question is:

Should I change the switch tactiles or is the problem somewhere else (loose connector, power issue...)?

If anyone of you guys knows how to fix this problem, Please respond because I'd love get this amazing part of music history to work.
KorgM1Repair

Re: Korg M1 Problem, Only UP button responding

Postby Alex E » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 am

Definitely the tact switches. I had a Wavestation EX that had this problem. I ended up buying a desoldering gun and replacing all of them. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get the job done in a couple hours.

Also, be careful with those plastic circular buttons on the M1, they can snap off and fall into the case if you press them too hard.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: JP-8080, Virus C, Sidstation, Nord Lead 3, XP-60, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Return to General Synthesizers