Noob needing help!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Maxcowe

Noob needing help!

Post by Maxcowe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi guys, new to the synth world... I have a MicroKorg S and have just purchased a Juno 6 for a not so appealing price :shock: I am hoping to purchase a drum machine and get a started on recording some stuff. I am getting the midi retrofit kit for the juno etc. So i am looking for a way to record both midi and audio for 3 of these instruments into my mac using Logic.... How do i do this? Ive have been told i need an audio interface, a midi interface a sequencer blah blah blah. I am just looking for the easiest and most cost friendly way possible thanks. :mrgreen:

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: Noob needing help!

Post by fh991586 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Midi and audio are 2 different things: you will need 2 very distinct channels of communication with the computer to do that.

First, you should check that the midi retrofit for the Juno is sending midi, because some will only receive it. And it may be as simple info as On/Off note, and nothing else... You won't get all settings through midi, unlike the MicroKorg S.

Second, do you know how to use Logic? I don't think you do with all these questions, so you should also get more acquainted with the software.

You should really try everything out as a stand alone before recording. Do you even know how to play those synths/drum machine? You're facing a big starting step, and it will make it even harder to do music if you want everything done upright without understanding the basics...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

groy

Post by groy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Welcome :) http://tweakheadz.com/ guide looks insane to navigate but actually has good articles to walk you through some of this. Specifics as to what gear you want is another question though.

Maxcowe

Post by Maxcowe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:38 pm

fh991586 wrote:Midi and audio are 2 different things: you will need 2 very distinct channels of communication with the computer to do that.

First, you should check that the midi retrofit for the Juno is sending midi, because some will only receive it. And it may be as simple info as On/Off note, and nothing else... You won't get all settings through midi, unlike the MicroKorg S.

Second, do you know how to use Logic? I don't think you do with all these questions, so you should also get more acquainted with the software.

You should really try everything out as a stand alone before recording. Do you even know how to play those synths/drum machine? You're facing a big starting step, and it will make it even harder to do music if you want everything done upright without understanding the basics...

Of course I know how to play them :lol: I don't think you understood my question. I use logic regularly i'm fluent with that. But what I am asking is what do I need to get midi and audio from the drum machine and synth to the computer with ease? previously i have been using basic midi to usb cables but there pretty sh!t. I have been told an audio interface and a midi interface are better?? this is where I am new.

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:18 am

Get an audio interface that also has midi ports, then you get both audio I/o and midi I/o in one device.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Your OP is a bit ambiguous. You did say you're a noob? And do you mean you're new to hardware synths but fluent in Logic's synths?

+1 on desmond's tip on the audio interface. Once you have that, Logic's Environment is a neat way to integrate the hardware. You might need to consider getting a patch bay, or an interface with enough i/o for your hardware synths. Depends on how organised you want to be. For example I use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with a patchbay and a bunch of hardware. It works for me.

You might find you need more MIDI i/o. So you could still use your USB-MIDI cables for some things. The cheap ones usually cannot handle a lot of data but are OK for regular playing. Again as an example, I have a MIDIsport 4x4 to supplement the MIDI on the Focusrite, so I can manage patches and MIDI clocks on various hardware boxes.

desmond is the Logic expert around here, but this page shows you what the Logic Environment is all about:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13245?locale=en_US