Synthesizer Repair Training

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
martinbaker2727

Synthesizer Repair Training

Post by martinbaker2727 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Basically what made me register is to see if anyone had any information on something I may be interesting in doing.

Like everyone here I love synthesizers . . . and I am thinking of possibly getting into the field of synth repair but I would like to see some thoughts of the people here since you guys know your **** basically...

Is this a viable job? Can this be a serious career option for someone to get into? Is the income decent and by decent I mean like at least 25-30K$ a year.

Now If i was to get into this field where would I start? Are there any schools in the New Jersey/New York City area where you can learn this type of stuff from a serious trade school? Going to a 4 year college is really the last thing I want to do since the first 2-3 years are basically a waste of time . . . or do I have to get some kind of engineering degree to even consider doing this?

Anyone know of any school or program etc?

Does anyone here do this for a living, if so how do you like it?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Synthesizer Repair Training

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 pm

You'd be looking at an Electronic Engineering Degree course. If you want to repair older synths, you'd have to go learn old stuff like analogue audio electronics, logic gates and old-school microprocessor controllers like the Z80. Newer stuff you'd be learning DSP. So check what the courses provide.

Not sure why you think the first 2-3 years of a degree are a waste of time? To qualify as a repair technician in industry you'd need 2 years (in Europe that's called a Level 6; 3 years is Level 7 or pass degree, 4 is Level 8 or honours degree. And most jobs need Level 9 which is a masters).

I'm pretty sure you won't be making 25k salary for a while. But if you live in a large city, you'd probably be the only person doing it. Do it well and you're on a winner.

There's a good Facebook group called vintage synth repair and mods. check there and see if anyone knows the situation in your country/ area.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:48 pm

You need general electronics repair training with an emphasis on analog circuitry. Then you need to get ahold of schematics, service manuals, etc. for the gear you want to repair, find sources for parts, etc.

Can you make $30K? I have no idea but it would be very difficult at first, since you have to build up a rep and a client base. You also have to compete with shops that already exist and have big money clients.

Maybe Hideaway will come by with words of wisdom, he's a member here who does serious rare instrument restorations. minime123 is another member involved in restoration for resale.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:08 pm

From the people that I've known that repair synths, they were essentially already interested in vintage synths. Repairing was a necessity in the days when the vintage gear was the only analog around. So, having a working knowledge of a vast array of vintage gear can get you far. (I.e. know the common problems that come up for each model, and how to fix them)