Newbie with question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Newbie with question

Postby vray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi, Looking at first time entry level synth purchase and really like the simplicity of the Moog Sub Phatty. Also like that its analog, no screens, menus.etc. Nervous about having only 25 keys but like the affordability vs the moog sub 37. I play a Roland RD 300NX and wondering if I can MIDI (which I have no experience with) the two together and in effect have a fully Sub Phatty controlled 88 keys? Also, will I regret buying a mono (1 note at a time synth vs (poly??)?Thanks so much.
vray

Re: Newbie with question

Postby Hyde » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Why analog? Don't get me wrong, there are some great analog synths out there. But, the craze is sometimes just that. Why not start with something that can do a lot more for you? An older sampler workstation with synth capabilities can really do a lot for you. Of you are spending $2k on an analog synth that does just one thing, you could spend less than that on a used Korg Kronos & have a machine that could sample analog, have just about every other instrument on board & have a 16 track audio studio, as well. h**l, I'd love to have a Moog Voyager or a Sub 37 but, every time I get the bug, they just don't seem to do more than what I can do by sampling & layering. They are great at what they do but, they don't really enough to my tool box to be worth the cost.
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Check out the cheaper analog synths by Korg, like the Monologue or Minilogue if you want 4 note polyphony. You seem pretty set on the sub phatty, so just get it, it tends to keep it's value if you end up ditching it.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby NCChao1268 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:41 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Check out the cheaper analog synths by Korg, like the Monologue or Minilogue if you want 4 note polyphony. You seem pretty set on the sub phatty, so just get it, it tends to keep it's value if you end up ditching it.

I second that, the Minilogue is a great starter synth because it has a good analog sound you can't go wrong with, can create all standard analog sounds and I think it has unison (not sure!) has an arpeggiator, and all the real time controls.

Though a Juno 106 is not a bad starter synth at all if you can get one for a good price (no more than $1000), great classic 80s sound as well as modern sounding, midi, and all the controls on the front panel.

Both the synths I listed in this post are great for learning analog synthesis with the Minilogue showing what the wave looks like.
NCChao1268

Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Postby vray » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks all for the info. I'll look into those options.
vray

Return to General Synthesizers