Casio rz1 can play my volca fm...?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
princefan3

Casio rz1 can play my volca fm...?

Post by princefan3 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Guys...Playing around with my Casio RZ1 drum machine I have been able to play the korg FMs sounds from the rz1 pads.....what is causing this to happen.

Can any other drum machine play another units sounds as I have tried but with no luck.

Kentronix
Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Re: Casio rz1 can play my volca fm...?

Post by Kentronix » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I assume they are connected through midi ?

Almost any midi device can play almost any other. I use my volca beats (with midi out mod) to play my akai rhythm wolf or Boss DR-550. I mix them two together for beefier sounds.

By default normally drums are set to midi channel 10. Not always and they can normally be changed to another channel.
If the volca FM is anything like the other volcas you can change the midi channel by holding a key as you turn it on and setting it there. It would be in the manual.
Find the date of your vintage Roland gear

Kippiis

Post by Kippiis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Short answer: yes, it can.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 pm

Yes any drum machine transmits MIDI notes from the pads. Some make them assignable. Some minor exceptions- the Yamaha TX16W can't respond to the really short MIDI note on off events that the Alesis SR-16 sends. But the Roland TR-505 sends longer notes so it can.

It's sometimes a good way to come up with interesting basslines!! Definitely several hits have been done that way.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 pm

If you want the pads to not trigger your Volca, you can disable MIDI note transmission and reception (always both) but still let the RZ-1 send/receive MIDI clock and transport commands. That way your Volca's sequencer will be synched up the RZ-1, but it will not see any incoming notes.

Press the MIDI Channel button and set NOTE from ENABLE to DISABLE by pressing the Value button.. Obviously this is only useful when you are using the RZ-1's own patterns/songs because the RZ-1 will no longer respond to incoming MIDI notes from another sequencer (like a DAW).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am

meatballfulton wrote:If you want the pads to not trigger your Volca, you can disable MIDI note transmission and reception (always both) but still let the RZ-1 send/receive MIDI clock and transport commands. That way your Volca's sequencer will be synched up the RZ-1, but it will not see any incoming notes.

Press the MIDI Channel button and set NOTE from ENABLE to DISABLE by pressing the Value button.. Obviously this is only useful when you are using the RZ-1's own patterns/songs because the RZ-1 will no longer respond to incoming MIDI notes from another sequencer (like a DAW).
If people are actually interested in the RZ-1 for these types of things:

The custom firmware for the Casio RZ-1 enables setting the MIDI in and out channels separately and also Local MIDI on/off, so that probably opens up some possibilities for syncing with other gear in the desired way.