New to the forums. Advice appreciated :)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ghost9

New to the forums. Advice appreciated :)

Post by Ghost9 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi everyone, my name is chris and im new to the forums as well as the synth world.
So ive done months and months of research in trying to learn mkre about synths and these instuments i love so much.
I started out with the korg volcas. I have 3 to date. I have the korg sample, beats and keys. I also have the mpc live.
I work on all my insturments everyday and im having alot of fun with them creating awsome sounds and music.

I have come across and impass within myself it seems. There is so much out there for consumers its hard to know what is a good choice or a bad one.

Im trying to buy a centerpeice for my music studio, a main synth so to speak, one that gets incorporated into all my music. I have come down to 3 choices and i hope you all can give me some advice as to which would be the best option for me.
Keep in mind in just a beginner, albeit, with alot of research on board.
Im thinking of the moog sub 37or the moob sub phatty or the new korg minilogue xd.

I like creating alot of organic and textured soumds in my music. Not to much of a edm or techno guy although i do like some. Ive alwaya loved aphex twin and boc stuff. Im a huge fan of nine inch nails. Just to give you and idea of the soundscapes ive been influenced by.

Thank you all forntaking the time to read this and any information or advice you can provide will be taken into consideration.

Ghost9

Re: New to the forums. Advice appreciated :)

Post by Ghost9 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Eh, sorry for my horrible grammer. Couldnt figure out how to edit the post

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 pm

an older Virus?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:08 pm

Either of the Moogs are great. Maybe you need a poly synth. Maybe you need an effects unit.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Roland SH-01A
Behringer DM-12
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:19 am

Hiya
No matter which synth you decide to buy, I'd advise you to try and keep costs down to start with... definitely look at the second hand market (ebay, gumtree etc) ... there is quite a lot on offer and it lets you learn about synths and get hands-on experience without breaking the bank (especially if you decide it's not what you expected it to be).

Don't worry... pretty soon you'll be just like the rest of us... a mountain of gear and buying another synth that you don't need but still can't do without :-)

As for what to buy, I'd definitely get a polysynth... the Moogs are nice but you'll get more bang for your buck with a good poly... maybe look for something like a Yamaha An1x or CS1x ... Roland JP8000's are worth a look too.

Also - forget about the digital vs analogue argument... it's a load of cobblers... the best synth is the one that you use irregardless of whether it's digital or analogue.

good luck!

Ghost9

Post by Ghost9 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 am

Thank you all for the quick replies and i will definitely give all those mentioned a look at. I really appreciate the feedback.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 am

Hopefully you live near a good store that may carry a decent selection of synths. My advice to anyone is to not follow the current trend, just because its exciting. Put your hands on some machines. Listen to youtube videos of different synths(with headphones). Personally I'd love to have a Sub 37 or a Voyager. I'm a big fan of NIN work. But that's a huge investment for something that isn't going to make my sound (or writing) better. In fact, theres no way I could ever afford to have all of the toys that level of musician has. &, we want our art form to stand out. It's pretty tough to do something significant without adding your own flare. There are a ton of synths & samplers out there that do a great number of things. Many can be had at next to nothing. Scour your local Craigslist. See what pops up. Youtube, google. So much information these days. Good luck!
Makin' Noises

Ghost9

Post by Ghost9 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the response hyde. I actually checked out the synths mentioned above and found the yamaha an1x to be a wonderful synth. Trying to find one is my next challange. But im still looking and contemplating what ill get. Everyones advice has been great. Keep the ideas comming im still listening. Probably wont decide on a purchase till next month. Ill wait on a moog i think, although the new korg xd looks really nice. But having a good keyboard synth is looking very appealing atm.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | Sh01a | Circuit MonoStation | PreenFM2
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 pm

You wanna sound like NIN? Get an old sampler like the Ensoniq Eps, or ESQ1, or an Emax. If you don't want to mess with floppy disks, just get a basic VA from the late 90s/early 00's. Roland JP8000, Korg R3, Ms2000, V-Synth, King Korg.

Best way to sound like NIN? Find your own sound with production techniques. Learn drum machine programming, or create your own drum rack in your daw.

Ghost9

Post by Ghost9 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Well i dont want to sound like NIN exactly, i just mentioned them as a source of the soundscapes that ive been influenced by. I mean i like depeche mode to zero7 to allysian feilds to sneakerpimps and iamx.
I do very much appreciate the synths mentioned above and i will do my research on all mentioned. Thank you jabberwalky

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:You wanna sound like NIN? Get an old sampler like the Ensoniq Eps, or ESQ1, or an Emax. If you don't want to mess with floppy disks, just get a basic VA from the late 90s/early 00's. Roland JP8000, Korg R3, Ms2000, V-Synth, King Korg.

Best way to sound like NIN? Find your own sound with production techniques. Learn drum machine programming, or create your own drum rack in your daw.
Nord Lead is always a great option too. I remember when JP8000 was new. I teetered on the fence about buying one. The Nord always sounded just enough better(to me) to keep me from the JP. Didn't ever get the Nord, either. They are both great machines, though. You are right, though. That early NIN stuff PHM & Broken were both pretty basic, sonically. Downward spiral got a lot more complex & a lot more "ANALOG" sounding. Those early days of ProTools allowed a lot more expansion. At the time, that was Big Boy money. I had an early version of cubase & a computer that couldn't even hand that. You needed a PowerMac, for sure.... Memories
Makin' Noises

Ghost9

Post by Ghost9 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm

The NL3 sounds pretty good.
Im still loving that yamaha an1x.

Ill still give it some time. Maybe next month to make a decision.

Ill keep researching the nord series tho

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | Sh01a | Circuit MonoStation | PreenFM2

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm

I've always been a fan of the An1x, and have had 2 of them. It was a workhorse 15 years ago, but now it's functionality is limiting, and the editor is from 1997. Things like the built-in step sequencer and arp were more important then. The knob recording has also been surpassed by the Minilogue's motion recording, etc. The sound is great if that's all you're concerned with, and it has it's own unique voice. I might be selling mine soon though.

Also lots of the 90s VA synths are starting to fall apart, so tact switches and knobs may need replaced. I agree with Hades too, that the Nords are also great.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:59 pm

Hyde wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:You wanna sound like NIN? Get an old sampler like the Ensoniq Eps, or ESQ1, or an Emax. If you don't want to mess with floppy disks, just get a basic VA from the late 90s/early 00's. Roland JP8000, Korg R3, Ms2000, V-Synth, King Korg.

Nord Lead is always a great option too. I remember when JP8000 was new. I teetered on the fence about buying one. The Nord always sounded just enough better(to me) to keep me from the JP. Didn't ever get the Nord, either. They are both great machines, though. You are right, though. That early NIN stuff PHM & Broken were both pretty basic, sonically. Downward spiral got a lot more complex & a lot more "ANALOG" sounding. Those early days of ProTools allowed a lot more expansion. At the time, that was Big Boy money. I had an early version of cubase & a computer that couldn't even hand that. You needed a PowerMac, for sure.... Memories
That's cool! Interesting to hear about those days. From what I've read, Reznor recorded his first album in a studio he was working at overnight. I sometimes wonder if having the bedroom studio has changed songwriting, made it actually take much longer. It's too easy to ruminate on everything.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Hyde wrote:

That's cool! Interesting to hear about those days. From what I've read, Reznor recorded his first album in a studio he was working at overnight. I sometimes wonder if having the bedroom studio has changed songwriting, made it actually take much longer. It's too easy to ruminate on everything.
Everything has changed. It's nice to have the ability to do things at home at a lower cost. But, there's almost no hope now of taking creative music to a place that can financially support you in a positive way. Unless of course you have a good connection, young, you look good on TV & are willing to give up almost all creative rights. There are certainly different levels of talent out there, still. I seem to remember, its all a little foggy, Reznor saying he wrote that first album in his bedroom. I also remember hearing Pretty hate machine for the first time, in a friends' car. I thought it was kinda silly & dancy. of course, I don't still think that. It was a gem. Especially being one of those albums that really shows the beginning of a long & twisting career. You may be right, though. If he had sat at home & tinkered with it in protools for a few months longer, we all may not have ever heard of Trent Reznor(NIN). Interesting thought
Makin' Noises