Anyone else tired of the Analog revolution?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Anyone else tired of the Analog revolution?

Post by Hyde » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 am

How long does it take before everyone has a blue, a red, a green, a yellow & a rainbow colored analog synth? Don't get me wrong, I think they can produce some really amazing sounds but, seems like everyone is building 10 of them. One something for every price range & visual pallet. Anyone else longing for a not so analog sounding offering w/ polyphony & some fun bells & whistles?

You can call me crazy, i don't really care :roll:
Makin' Noises

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Anyone else tired of the Analog revolution?

Post by madtheory » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:33 pm

I hear ya- but IMO that desire is extremely well served by plugins. Take a bit of time to assign a controller and it's loadsa fun. Reaktor has a myriad of stuff, and Alchemy is still fab even if it is locked in to Apple.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:36 pm

I’m no fan of continual regurgitation of the past, but Interesting things are still being done with analogue. Just look at the DSI/Sequential stuff, or Arturia.

You say analogue as if it’s a binary choice. There are synths out there that happily blend analogue circuitry with DSP, to great effect. It’s simply a question of innovation and utility, not category.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:22 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:You say analogue as if it’s a binary choice. There are synths out there that happily blend analogue circuitry with DSP, to great effect. It’s simply a question of innovation and utility, not category.
Excellent point indeed: MatrixBrute, DSI Evolver. Two amazing synths that could not be done purely "analogue".

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:57 pm

and the Peak... and the new Arturia...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:12 pm

What a silly thing to say.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm tired of it simply from the perspective of boring instruments, hobbled by compromises from the low price points. The worst part is people believing that analog is somehow more "real" than digital. They are all just electronic devices not biological organisms.

However, I'm an old guy who experiecned the original analogs and the digital revolution. I love the stuff DSI/Sequential have come up with, I still think the Evolver is the most groundbreaking instrument of this century. I appreciate that modulars are more widely available than ever for those that want them, but I think people will soon enough learn (like I did after using them for years) why modulars faded away in the first place. CV is a step backwards, especially when it comes to playing pitches.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 pm

meatballfulton wrote:CV is a step backwards, especially when it comes to playing pitches.
Ya, but it allows plenty of time for growing the beard.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 am

Yeah, maybe it's the whole "Look at my ten modules that do almost nothing" movement that really is driving into me. I really like any keyboard that does something interesting, & has a good amount creative versatility, be it analog or digital.
Makin' Noises