Newbie and Korg Poly 61

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meggeth

Newbie and Korg Poly 61

Post by meggeth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:53 pm

I recently had the opportunity to buy an old Korg poly 61 at a very good price, couldn't resist! I thought I'd enter this dark, underground movement.....

I'm planning on retiring within the next year or so, and fancy having my own mini recording studio. I'm not really a keyboard player, I play guitar more, but wanted ta have something to play with (I also have have a Korg X3). I thought I'd get this, and have a play, if I didn't think i would be useful, I could always sell it on.

Anyway, there were a few problems with it. The battery had been replaced, but the main board was rather gungy, so it was cleaned up with iso-alcohol. Some of the connectors were dodgy - there were some re-start/re-boots. These were all disconnected and cleaned up and re-connected. A few of the control buttons didnt work properly, so these were sprayed with contact fluid and operated furiously! Quite a few of the keys didn't work properly, so the keyboard was taken apart, and each key/carbon contact was cleaned. Upshot is that everything seems to work fine now, and I'm impressed with the sounds it can produce. I also made a few mods - bringing out the filter cut off and resonance to pots, and also adding switches so they can be switched in and out at will.

I'm loving playing with this thing! I've also found that adding a few effects really produces some great sounds, especially adding abit of "clean" guitar distortion/echo.

Only thing I can't seem to get to work is the external arppegiator input. Not sure why.

Anyway, done a (crappy!) video which shows it's operation a bit.

If anyone still has one of these and is interested in the mods (although I think it's mostly pretty well doumented on the internet, apart from the switching), I've got some info available.

Cheers. :D

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: Newbie and Korg Poly 61

Post by fh991586 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

The external arp needs a steady click input to operate. Like from a rim shot of a drum machine, or a loud track with clicks on it. I tested it with a special clock module when I had a P61M in my rig, and it did work.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

meggeth

Post by meggeth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Ah ok. Thanks matey, I'll try that. I did try just a normal drum track, but that didn't work, so I'll try your suggestion. Cheers.

meggeth

Post by meggeth » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Success!! I tried a metronome click track, didn't seem to work at first, but when I increased the volume to the right level it worked just fine!!

Thanks for that.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Great! Enjoy the music. :thumbsup:
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho