Virtual expansion boards for Roland Jv Series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Virtual expansion boards for Roland Jv Series

Postby aidanmcintosh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi,

First post so go easy!

This is just a general question about the Roland Jv Series. I have a 2080 and basically am wondering if the expansion packs are only ever available via the physical boards. Is there no way to buy a digital version in this day and age and dump it in the 2080 via some software like JV-XP editor? I know that there is a memory limit but I'd be happy to fill the User section with just one (namely Vintage Synths). Obviously the manual can't help here and I haven't been able to find anyone else asking this elsewhere..that may be just because it's a stupid question though so apologies for my ignorance if so.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
aidanmcintosh

Re: Virtual expansion boards for Roland Jv Series

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 am

No, you can’t dump sample data in to a 2080. You can dump new patches in of course, that use the internal PCM waves.

You can do it with an XV5080 though, if you have the sample memory installed.
desmond

Postby aidanmcintosh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 am

desmond wrote:No, you can’t dump sample data in to a 2080. You can dump new patches in of course, that use the internal PCM waves.

You can do it with an XV5080 though, if you have the sample memory installed.

Right I didn't know that was what was happening, think I thought they were just new patches. Thanks!
aidanmcintosh

Postby JMP » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 pm

If you're looking at JV expansions, I felt Vintage Synth and Orchestral II where the best of them. I have these two plus Dance and Special FX in an XP50 and the extra waveforms make a big difference in your own patch programming.
JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to General Synthesizers