SIX-TRAK battery replacement and still presets will not save

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iamdamosuzuki

SIX-TRAK battery replacement and still presets will not save

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi all,

I am posting here out of desperation as I can't seem to find any answers in existing Six-Trak battery replacement related threads.

Essentially, I purchased a Six-Trak that was barren of any internal sounds, just a low ascending pitch for each program - indicative of a dead battery. For months I would initialize patches and just create my own sounds, knowing they'd be gone upon the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 count on the LED once turned back on.

Yesterday I had the battery replaced by a well respected and experienced tech in the area. I supplied him with a fresh battery from syntaur and he had soldered it in within the hour.

I went home and using a UR22 interface and sysex librarian, I loaded the preset sounds and sequences back on -- which worked as it should. But when powered off and on again I get the same 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 count!

I've read through the manual using control record 4, control record 1, and other methods to load the sounds back on. Either way loading the patches is not the issue as it seems there's still a memory issue despite the battery change.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've read the synth battery replacement nightmare thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75943

but I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong during the sysex transfer or if there is an extra step to ensuring patches are saved?

:shock:

thanks y'all

hope to get to the bottom of this

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Re: SIX-TRAK battery replacement and still presets will not

Post by V301H » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 pm

An experienced tech would have tested the unit to make sure it was working properly. I would take it back to him and have him track down the problem.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am

It's possible that the old battery might have leaked somewhere and damaged one of the traces or other components on the circuitboard. This was a problem with one of my Alesis synths after changing out the battery. I had someone repair it who examined the circuit board with a microscope and found damage to one of the traces and a small capacitor from the battery acid, even after it was totally cleaned off. He repaired it by replacing the capacitor and adding a wire to bypass the damaged trace.

iamdamosuzuki

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:37 am

i took it back to him this morning and he told me the original battery was low but not dead, so i'm not sure whether it would have leaked. hopefully it's something small, not costly, and a quick fix ;) i'll report back with his diagnostic and hopefully the resolution. thanks for the input y'all :bye:

iamdamosuzuki

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

UPDATE:

I had the 3 chips responsible for saving memory replaced in addition to the battery and still i'm getting the dreaded 1-2-3-4-5-6 count on start up and my presets won't save. :help:

am i doing something wrong while loading the presets? again, i'm using sysex librarian and a steinberg ur22 / control record 4 on the six trak - presets will load but when i turn it off and on again it's a blank slate :facepalm:

my tech is going to call syntaur and see if they have any suggestions as to what may be going on.

any further input is welcome because i'm very stumped and wondering if this is worth it or if my tech is going to be able to pull this off :pissed:

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:04 am

There is an old thread in this forum. Same problem, marked as 'solved'. There was also a mod for the battery to prevent it from discharging fast due to an early design error.

Good luck.
Herrare umanum est.

iamdamosuzuki

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

I actually read that thread and referenced it while troubleshooting my own situation. Luckily this issue is also now resolved! I tried loading the presets on a few more times, let it sit for an hour or so and now it has retained the presets :D I don’t understand why it took several tries but I won’t question it.
Thanks again y’all <3

iamdamosuzuki

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 am

Actually nevermind, tried it again tonight and they’re gone once more :shock:

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am

Suggestions:
Measure the battery voltage.
Look for damaged copper tracks.
Replace RAM chip.
There should be a small capacitor across the battery. If leaky, replace with same value tantalum.
Herrare umanum est.