My first synth - the Roland XP-10

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

My first synth - the Roland XP-10

Post by ranzee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 am

A little video about my first synth - the Roland XP-10 (which I still own). I also did a small repair and then checked out some of the features. I talk about the personal journey that I've taken to get this synth and why I chose it in the beginning.

What was your first synth? Did you own an XP-10?

Vxster

Re: My first synth - the Roland XP-10

Post by Vxster » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Casio CZ1000. Still got it somewhere!

ranzee

Post by ranzee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 am

So many owned a Casio as their first synth. I think Casio must have made a lot of money in the 80s and 90s.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:05 pm

CZ1000 was my 2nd synth, loved it.... the first a Korg Micro Preset. :roll:

To the OP, if you like the XP10 try an XP50, a top synth of mine for many years which can give great results.

ranzee

Post by ranzee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 pm

I mentioned the XP-50 in the video. It was out of my reach at the time. I've come across them more recently and with all the Roland Cloud stuff out now, I can't really see myself getting one. But who knows, things often change :)

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 pm

My first was a Yamaha MX49 but for analog synths Minilogue and for samplers SK-1.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Post by Tiger Jackson » Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 am

ranzee wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:11 am
So many owned a Casio as their first synth. I think Casio must have made a lot of money in the 80s and 90s.
My first keyboard was a casio, it wasn't a synth, just some kind large player keyboard with preset sounds, built on speakers. I didn't really know what I wanted at the time so I just bought it. Later did more research, probably what led me to this site, and learned all about synthesizers. I think I mentioned that I saw an ensoniq VFX there, was told it was a vintage synth so I packed my casio keyboard, traded it in for resale value. But the vfx was no longer there... instead, there was an ensoniq ESQ-1. My first synth. I probably posted about my find when I first got it, but i was pretty young, still in high school, it would be hard to read my old posts... :lol:

I still have it but now I'm finding it much more convenient to use SQ8L, since I never bothered to fix the battery, and the cart reader stopped working. The physical esq1 does sound a bit muddier/dirtier but I can live without it.