Question re: "jam boxes" e.g. NI Maschine, Novation Circuit etc

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mitya33

Re: Question re: "jam boxes" e.g. NI Maschine, Novation Circuit etc

Post by mitya33 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for the continued help, guys.

Re: wathcing beginner tutorials, I've done little else, along with review vids, and lots of reading, for the last two weeks, as I get clued up on all this stuff. It's a minefield when you're new to it.

In fact I just posted a new thread asking for thoughts on the merits (or otherwise) of a multi-hardware set up with several devices, something like a Microfreak, Circuit etc. Essentially some cheaper-end devices to LEARN the 'basics' (I realise they have depth, too), perhaps a drum unit also.

Yes I've seen the Akai MPC series. I actually love the look of them, but the price is prohibitive and even the new box that's the best part of £2K has only 2gb (not sure if that matters but I've seen more knowledgeable people than I moan about this) and, in any case, I think I'm more resolved now to go the tactile, multi-setup route.

Thanks.

groy

Post by groy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:14 pm
I think in terms of shear sequencing power today the Squarp Pyramid is at the top of the heap.
Dang! This got me reading up on the Squarp even though I wasn't in the market for anything. It’s seems pretty great (not that I was feeling like I couldn’t do something (with the RM1x) it’s just switching out the brain of a hardware setup every now and then can be very inspiring). Have you used one? Also, what’s the deal with making a device built to sequence hardware powered by mini USB? Is this something manufactures do now and why? I’m out of the loop with a lot of this new gear I guess.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Using USB for power saves the mfr the trouble of providing a power adapter, that's all. They give you a USB cable and expect you to own a phone charger. I'm seeing this on all kinds of devices these days, not just audio gear.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:53 pm

I haven't used the Squarp, and ultimately ended up going for an Elektron Octatrack instead because it' just does a lot more. The sequencer is not as powerful as the Squarp, but the sampling capability and drag and drop of samples onto the CF card tipped me that side.

Also, I'm all for things using the mini USB plug. Ultimately, it's like how everything had an IEC jack in the 80s. It's great when cables are universally accepted. Having a box of 30 different power adapters, with varying tip/ring and jack sizes is always frustrating. Only caveat is that mini USB feels really fragile, and time will tell how well the ports hold up.