Question re: "jam boxes" e.g. NI Maschine, Novation Circuit etc

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mitya33

Re: Question re: "jam boxes" e.g. NI Maschine, Novation Circuit etc

Post by mitya33 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for the continued help, guys.

Re: wathcing beginner tutorials, I've done little else, along with review vids, and lots of reading, for the last two weeks, as I get clued up on all this stuff. It's a minefield when you're new to it.

In fact I just posted a new thread asking for thoughts on the merits (or otherwise) of a multi-hardware set up with several devices, something like a Microfreak, Circuit etc. Essentially some cheaper-end devices to LEARN the 'basics' (I realise they have depth, too), perhaps a drum unit also.

Yes I've seen the Akai MPC series. I actually love the look of them, but the price is prohibitive and even the new box that's the best part of £2K has only 2gb (not sure if that matters but I've seen more knowledgeable people than I moan about this) and, in any case, I think I'm more resolved now to go the tactile, multi-setup route.

Thanks.

groy

Post by groy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:14 pm
I think in terms of shear sequencing power today the Squarp Pyramid is at the top of the heap.
Dang! This got me reading up on the Squarp even though I wasn't in the market for anything. It’s seems pretty great (not that I was feeling like I couldn’t do something (with the RM1x) it’s just switching out the brain of a hardware setup every now and then can be very inspiring). Have you used one? Also, what’s the deal with making a device built to sequence hardware powered by mini USB? Is this something manufactures do now and why? I’m out of the loop with a lot of this new gear I guess.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Using USB for power saves the mfr the trouble of providing a power adapter, that's all. They give you a USB cable and expect you to own a phone charger. I'm seeing this on all kinds of devices these days, not just audio gear.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.