Advice on a multi-hardware device setup

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mitya33

Advice on a multi-hardware device setup

Post by mitya33 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I think I've resolved that the way of working that attracts me most is via multiple hardware devices rather than software or something like a workstation.

I'm mostly a synth noob, though I'm a classical pianist so I know music and its theory.

I've done a lot of research and watched a lot of vids, and here's the devices I really like the look of:

- Novation Circuit - amazing now with all its post-launch firmware upgrades. Looks really fun to use, too. Prefer to what seems to be its main rival (though it's £170 more expensive), the Electribe.
  • Arturia MicroFreak - again, just looks so much fun to use, and sounds crazy.

Possibly a dedicated drum unit like Arturia DrumBrute or the new Uno Unodrum.

Some midi keyboard to make melodies on Circuit easier
My motivation is to learn synths by, er, twiddling knobs, params, that sort of thing.

One question that comes to mind is: with the Circuit, given that it handles drums to a point anyway, do I need a dedicated drum unit?

Any thoughts in general about this stack? Sound good, or am I way off?

Many thanks!

mitya33

Re: Advice on a multi-hardware device setup

Post by mitya33 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Anyone?

groy

Post by groy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:19 pm

IDK any of those particular pieces, but reading up on it quickly the circuit looks like a decent sequencer for what you want.

I say get them in that order: Circuit (with external keys if that’s important to you (or use your MODX for this)), then add an external synth, then see if you still want a drum machine. Anything that can come later and will give you time to identify holes in the sound palette you want and to sit with and learn each piece. I can imagine getting a bunch of stuff right at once could be overwhelming.

You’ll also need a mixer once you have the Circuit sequencing anything else.
And then comes effects… :lol:

mitya33

Post by mitya33 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks, Groy, appreciated.