Learning to program Alesis QS6.1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Postosis

Learning to program Alesis QS6.1

Post by Postosis » Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 am

Hey guys, I just aquired the Alesis QS 6.1 and it's a bit overwhelming. The manual is like 200 pages long and information is scattered throughout without much order to it. They use as many big words as they can find and it's hard to make heads or tales of most of it.

My last synth was a Kawaii K1 and it was at least a little more straightforward as to how to modify the sounds.

My question is, is there anyone here with experience modifying and saving programs/mixes using this particular synth? I could definately use some help.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Learning to program Alesis QS6.1

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 am

Postosis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 am
Hey guys, I just aquired the Alesis QS 6.1 and it's a bit overwhelming. The manual is like 200 pages long and information is scattered throughout without much order to it. They use as many big words as they can find and it's hard to make heads or tales of most of it.

My last synth was a Kawaii K1 and it was at least a little more straightforward as to how to modify the sounds.

My question is, is there anyone here with experience modifying and saving programs/mixes using this particular synth? I could definately use some help.
I had a QS6 and though i loved the sounds it had trying to program it was 'like painting the
Sistine Chapel thru a keyhole'. People used to use Soundbridge or other software as an editor, and Soundtower still has an editor available.

Postosis

Post by Postosis » Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am

i checked out the soundtower site and the qs sound editor appears to require a purchased license. im going to continue to search for a free alternative but figured i would ask if you already knew of one.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Postosis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am
i checked out the soundtower site and the qs sound editor appears to require a purchased license. im going to continue to search for a free alternative but figured i would ask if you already knew of one.
I didnt even know the soundtower one was still around... i just googled for them. besides, its only $35.

edit: jsynthlib supports the Alesis QS series.

Postosis

Post by Postosis » Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm

im not against paying for good software but unfortunately im no longer able to work and due to a crappy doctor i cant even file disability so my income is $0

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Postosis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm
im not against paying for good software but unfortunately im no longer able to work and due to a crappy doctor i cant even file disability so my income is $0
try jsynthlib.

Postosis

Post by Postosis » Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 am

ugh so much trouble lol... jsynthlib comes in a .jar file and it always tells me its corrupted. tried from a few sites with no luck.

I did find my midi in/out to joystick port cable so i think i can hook it up to my pc but ive never used the cable so im not sure how to work any bugs out on it.

Edit: nope... my pc doesn't have an on board sound card port :cry:

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:48 am

Postosis wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 am
ugh so much trouble lol... jsynthlib comes in a .jar file and it always tells me its corrupted. tried from a few sites with no luck.

I did find my midi in/out to joystick port cable so i think i can hook it up to my pc but ive never used the cable so im not sure how to work any bugs out on it.

did you get the 1.0 version of jsynthlib or the earlier version? you can get a usb midi cable for about $10

Postosis

Post by Postosis » Wed May 22, 2019 12:53 am

made my own sustain pedal till i can get a better one (or make something better quality)

Postosis

Post by Postosis » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:48 am
Postosis wrote:

did you get the 1.0 version of jsynthlib or the earlier version? you can get a usb midi cable for about $10
i got the one from their website 0.20 beta, its the only one i saw floating around

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 am

Postosis wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 am
Ashe37 wrote:
Postosis wrote:

i got the one from their website 0.20 beta, its the only one i saw floating around
the 1.0 version is on github, afaik

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri May 31, 2019 6:34 am

I have a QS6.1 - I progam it all the time, however I use SoundDriver (I bought a legit copy in around 2000). I find synth manuals can take time to get into how they are written, the Q6.1 ain't that confusing, but then we're all different at taking in written information.

The basic structure of the QS6.1 is identical to many digital "romplers" of their day, up to 4 synth "engines", choose from a table/selection of waveforms, then apply low pass filter, envelopes etc. SoundDiver helps with the modulation department, I've found with this type of digital synth, application of mods makes a big difference.

The QS6.1 has a Quadraverb fx unit built in, it's quite good actually, although it can get a little confusing, just as was the Quadraverb to set routings, but it's all there.

As with many of this type, there's two basic sound sources, an individual sound such as a bass, organ etc. called a Program, and a combination of Programs called a Mix typically used with a sequencer.

From what I gather, it can play sequences (mid files) from a RAM card, but has no sequencer to create tunes on, or has any internal sequencer memory. Probably a cost saving feature.

Having now explored the QS6.1 using SoundDiver, I tend to make small adustments from the front panel but anything that needs a handful of changes, I use SoundDiver, but note, there's a number of bugs in the editor, changing EQ actually changes Delay Mix level, but I've spotted that and reach for front panel editing for those. Nothing's perfect.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri May 31, 2019 1:07 pm

I love the helpfulness in this forum!

And that's an awesome sustain pedal!!!
Ashe37 wrote:
you can get a usb midi cable for about $10
You can, but they won't work for editing. All the cheap ones have too small a buffer size for SysEx. Stick to a branded USB MIDI cable from Alesis, M-Audio, Roland, Cakewalk etc.