KORG DSS1-BCF2000 help

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paseppa

KORG DSS1-BCF2000 help

Post by paseppa » Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi everyone, I have a korg dss1 and I would like to control it with a bcr2000. I tried to upload the sysex template that C stein posted here some years ago. I used midi-ox, but after that I really don't know what to do. I plugged the bcr to the synth via midi, but I can't change anything on the synth. Should I start the bcr in a particular way? I know I have to put the dss1 in play mode, so after I created a waveform I leave it in play mode, but still working on the bcr2000 has no effect. What should I do precisely? Thanks

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Re: KORG DSS1-BCF2000 help

Post by max badwan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:54 am

Check which BCR preset the template loaded into.

gs

Re: KORG DSS1-BCF2000 help

Post by gs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 pm

I used to own a DSS-1, and even made a resource web site for it some 15 years ago that is still online.

During my time with the synth, I created many templates for it on several controller devices (but not the BCF-2000).

What I remember is that the sysex commands (most of them) do NOT update in "real time" on this synth (other than CC control of the modulation). And I remember that, if you held a note while moving a knob or slider on the controller device, the synth would output some "stuttering" noise. And again, will NOT update in real-time; you have to re-trigger a note to hear the difference after you've moved the knob or slider on the controller.

You can get smooth filter sweeps by having a knob control MODULATION, with modulation controlling filter cutoff instead of LFO intensity. This will get you smooth real-time filter sweeps, while controlling Cutoff directly via sysex will NOT.

Definitely make sure you are on a full saved "patch"... not just a blank template with a waveform selected.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M