The Boston Factor

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

The Boston Factor

Post by Walter Ego » Fri May 31, 2019 6:44 pm

I've had a couple of interesting experiences over the past year that have made the synth world feel a bit smaller. First, a few months ago, I replied to a Craigslist post to trade some gear (I traded a Waldorf Streichfett) for a fairly obscure MAM sequencer. I met the guy half way between Boston and Providence. Well, it turns out that Providence is home to the corporate headquarters, or at least the development office, of Akai Professional. The guy I met for the trade? Akai Dan. The man behind the meme. In fact, the sequencer I traded for had features that made it into the Timbre Wolf sequencer. He was chill and down to earth. When I met him, it was right before NAMM and he was a bit sheepish that photos of the new Akai Force had been leaked. But he was clearly proud of his creations. So that was a fun night.

Fast forward to the next "Boston factor" experience. A few years ago, I acquired a small Aries 300 Series system. It sounded great and was real fun to use. But it's also old and bulky. So I recently put it up on eBay. A guy in New Hampshire purchased it and came to pick it up in person. As he walked up the stairs to my apartment, he casually remarked that he had helped design the modules back in the 70s, and that he's still designing modules. He briefly made and sold the Evos System, some information about which can be found here: https://www.matrixsynth.com/2007/08/evo ... scans.html. In fact, he's planning to release a few modules in the coming year or so. Basically, you never know who you're going to meet in this region where retired MIT engineers live. I guess that's my point.

I imagine it might be the same in a place like San Francisco, though.

Any other interesting stories of meeting interesting people?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)