Deepmind 12 Arpeggiator - Start/Stop Control via MIDI?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Deepmind 12 Arpeggiator - Start/Stop Control via MIDI?

Post by Tekhed66 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 am

Hi all

Does anyone know if it's possible to control the DM12 arpeggiator via midi so that you can determine when it starts and stops during a performance or when recording (I know that it will sync to midi clock signals but what I want it to do is switch on and off at specific times)?

I'm using Live 10 and it locks together really well with the synth but I haven't been able to crack how to control the DM12 arp (if at all possible).

any help greatly appreciated as always ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Deepmind 12 Arpeggiator - Start/Stop Control via MIDI?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 pm

See p.119 of the manual. There is an NRPN control that will toggle the on/off button found on the front panel.

If you also have Key Sync OFF in the arpeggiator settings, the arp will start on the next clock (internal BPM or MIDI, at the specified note value) after a note is triggered (by keys or by incoming MIDI from a sequencer or other MIDI device). For this to work reliably, the NRPN must be sent in advance of when you want the arp to trigger. You will have to experiment to see how far in advance is required, start with a bar (1/1) in advance and then try ratcheting down through 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc.

Turning the arpeggiator off again will not work as reliably, since the timing of the NRPN message relative to the clock is not guaranteed. But it will stop the arpeggiator on the next appropriate clock edge. Again, experiment and see how far in advance you need to send the message without either cutting notes off way too soon or way too late.

Ableton Live does not support NRPNs natively, but if you have Max4Live, there is a Max device called NRPN Gen 2 that can do it. If you do not have Max4Live, you will have to break the NRPN message down into it's components which are nothing but a string of CCs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Re: Deepmind 12 Arpeggiator - Start/Stop Control via MIDI?

Post by Tekhed66 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 pm
See p.119 of the manual. There is an NRPN control that will toggle the on/off button found on the front panel.

If you also have Key Sync OFF in the arpeggiator settings, the arp will start on the next clock (internal BPM or MIDI, at the specified note value) after a note is triggered (by keys or by incoming MIDI from a sequencer or other MIDI device). For this to work reliably, the NRPN must be sent in advance of when you want the arp to trigger. You will have to experiment to see how far in advance is required, start with a bar (1/1) in advance and then try ratcheting down through 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc.

Turning the arpeggiator off again will not work as reliably, since the timing of the NRPN message relative to the clock is not guaranteed. But it will stop the arpeggiator on the next appropriate clock edge. Again, experiment and see how far in advance you need to send the message without either cutting notes off way too soon or way too late.

Ableton Live does not support NRPNs natively, but if you have Max4Live, there is a Max device called NRPN Gen 2 that can do it. If you do not have Max4Live, you will have to break the NRPN message down into it's components which are nothing but a string of CCs.
I'm reminded of that old Ian Dury & The Blockheads song from years ago ..."There Ain't Half Been Some Clever B*stards" :-)

Meatball ... many thanks for your help and your seemingly infinite depth of synth knowledge.... I'll give this a whirl and see how it goes.

cheers and thanks.