Yamaha MODX - can I use an external sequencer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mitya33

Yamaha MODX - can I use an external sequencer?

Post by mitya33 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey guys

I've got a MODX and it's been my intro into synthesisers (quite an intro) but one thing that bugs me on a daily basis is the lack of sequencer, which lives live-recording as the only option for creating drum parts.

Obviously this imposes severe limitations on making complex drum patterns versus entering them into a step sequencer.

My question is: is it possible to use an external sequencer, something like the Arturia Beatstep, to live-edit MIDI data that lives on the MODX?

(For all I know this is a daily, really obvious thing people do - but I'm new like I say.)

Obviously I could export the MIDI files to a PC, edit them, them reimport them, but that's horrible.

Am I on the right lines or is this not how these things work?

Thanks!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Yamaha MODX - can I use an external sequencer?

Post by Z » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Yes, you can use an external sequencer (hardware or software) to sequence the MoDX.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 pm

mitya33 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm
My question is: is it possible to use an external sequencer, something like the Arturia Beatstep, to live-edit MIDI data that lives on the MODX?
No, the only way to edit data in MODX sequences is to export them as MIDI files to another sequencer, edit and re-import them.

If the question was "Could I create a sequence on an Arturia BeatStep and record that into an empty track in the MODX sequencer", yes, that should work. If you want the definitive answer, go ask Bad Mister at Yamaha's MODX forum.

I wish they had just left the sequencer out, too many users expect it to work the way the Motif sequencer did and are disappointed.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mitya33

Post by mitya33 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks.

OK so if I understand right I can't edit MIDI data that began life on the MODX, but I can (you think) import new MIDI data live into the MODX from a sequencer.

That's what I'm after.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, you should be able to connect a sequencer to the MODX MIDI IN and have it record the incoming data. You need the MODX to use the incoming MIDI clock and enable reception of start/stop/continue commands. These settings are found in the global utility menu. Read the MODX manual for more information on the proper settings.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mitya33

Post by mitya33 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

While you're here, and since you seem to know about the MODX, do you know if it can be mounted as a discoverable drive on a PC? In other words, will it show up in My Computer so I can edit MIDI files that live on the MODX, or would I need to manually save the MIDI files out to a USB stick, edit them on the PC, save edits, then manually reimport them into the MODX? I'm trying to figure out the process of editing a saved user arp.

Continued thanks.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:27 pm

No, it is not mountable as a drive. There is no way to access the internal files and as far as I know noone has ever reverse engineered bulk dumps to expose the sequence data. All you can do is export as MIDI files or import songs using the MODX Connect application.

You cannot edit user arps after they have been created.

If your goal is to use the sequencer for live playback, it's preferable to bypass recording sequences on the MODX altogether...seriously. Treat the MODX as a sound module, create sequences on a computer or other device, export the MIDI files and losd them into the MODX.

This is why I wrote above that Yamaha should have just left the sequencer out. it's not really useful by itself...it is designed to be used along with a DAW.

Good luck.