PolySix worth buying?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: PolySix worth buying?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Just a thought. For $1400 or thereabouts, there are several gorgeous-sounding modern polyphonic analogue synths, which have more features than you could shake a PolySix at. (eg. MIDI, USB, extensive mod matrices, etc.)

Of course, synth preferences are a very personal thing, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Funklord
Gear: Korg Prologue 16, JX8P w PG800, Juno Alpha 2
Band: Nubian Rose

Post by Funklord » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:21 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm
Just a thought. For $1400 or thereabouts, there are several gorgeous-sounding modern polyphonic analogue synths, which have more features than you could shake a PolySix at. (eg. MIDI, USB, extensive mod matrices, etc.)

Of course, synth preferences are a very personal thing, but it's worth bearing in mind.
You're absolutely right, but I just love those old machines.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 am

Funklord wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 am
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am
Funklord wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm
[...] The price on the PolySix is $1400
This is ridiculous.

Anything above 1k is.

Stephen
Well, all the prices on vintage synths are ridiculous nowadays. You can’t find them for much less, not if you live in Sweden anyway...
There is vintage stuff that is sort of worth its current asking prices (but not really) because it is rare, and there are bandwagon-jumpers which are aimed at people who are desperate to catch a glimpse at the glory of truly rare and vintage machines. The Polysix is one of them, the Juno-6/60/106 would be another. Hopelessly over-inflated -- it is for people clutching at straws.

If you've really set your mind on the Polysix (for whatever reason), a friend of mine used to have one that had been completely overhauled by Analogia.pl -- at that time, it was something like 1,500 Euros for one, with full support from Maciek. If at all, I'd settle for something like this if it has to be a Polysix but I am with clubbedtodeath here.

Some years ago, I bought a Polysix for a mere 30 Euros... I could not be bothered to have it fixed so I passed it on. Those were the days.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Funklord

Post by Funklord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Funklord wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm
[...] The price on the PolySix is $1400
This is ridiculous.

Anything above 1k is.

Stephen
I found one for 1k, will buy that one instead, need some TLC, but nothing that's needed for my playing...

Funklord

Post by Funklord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 am
Funklord wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 am
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Anything above 1k is.

Stephen
Well, all the prices on vintage synths are ridiculous nowadays. You can’t find them for much less, not if you live in Sweden anyway...
There is vintage stuff that is sort of worth its current asking prices (but not really) because it is rare, and there are bandwagon-jumpers which are aimed at people who are desperate to catch a glimpse at the glory of truly rare and vintage machines. The Polysix is one of them, the Juno-6/60/106 would be another. Hopelessly over-inflated -- it is for people clutching at straws.

If you've really set your mind on the Polysix (for whatever reason), a friend of mine used to have one that had been completely overhauled by Analogia.pl -- at that time, it was something like 1,500 Euros for one, with full support from Maciek. If at all, I'd settle for something like this if it has to be a Polysix but I am with clubbedtodeath here.

Some years ago, I bought a Polysix for a mere 30 Euros... I could not be bothered to have it fixed so I passed it on. Those were the days.

Stephen
I know what you are saying, but if you love the sound, you love the sound. Analogia don't sell them for 1500 anymore, the are more like 2000 and up. Crazy world, but on the other hand I can buy it play it, and if I don't like it, sell it, without losing money, or at least not so much... I found one for around 900 Euros, so I will buy that one. It needs some TLC, but nothing serious... :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am

TBH I'm a little jealous you can afford this PolySix. If it was me, I'd be going for a used Poly Evolver :) So I'm gonna have a bit of a rant here, sorry!
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Agreed 100%. Clutching at straws is a wonderful metaphor! If you want the great sounds that inspire you on those songs from the past, go do what those artists did. Learn your synth deeply, and learn about performing and connecting with an audience. Face your inner judge, get creative. Retail therapy will never ever work.

In my opinion (and that's all it is) a Juno is fine if you want some quick pads and a few nice bass sounds, but they're kinda rubbish for lead sounds. Pretty much any other modern synth can do it better these days. There are even plugins that nail the Juno thang 100%. Really.

A PolySix, IMHO, is even more limited than a Juno. It does some nice sounds, but fewer. It's telling that no-one's done a plugin version. Why? It's nothing special. Never was. It was a fine budget instrument back in the day, that's all.

For the same money there are so many current offerings from DSI, Waldorf and even Behringer that will have you exploring the depths of synthesis for years. These eighties budget polys are, yes, hugely over-priced.

Funklord

Post by Funklord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 am

madtheory wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am
TBH I'm a little jealous you can afford this PolySix. If it was me, I'd be going for a used Poly Evolver :) So I'm gonna have a bit of a rant here, sorry!
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Agreed 100%. Clutching at straws is a wonderful metaphor! If you want the great sounds that inspire you on those songs from the past, go do what those artists did. Learn your synth deeply, and learn about performing and connecting with an audience. Face your inner judge, get creative. Retail therapy will never ever work.

In my opinion (and that's all it is) a Juno is fine if you want some quick pads and a few nice bass sounds, but they're kinda rubbish for lead sounds. Pretty much any other modern synth can do it better these days. There are even plugins that nail the Juno thang 100%. Really.

A PolySix, IMHO, is even more limited than a Juno. It does some nice sounds, but fewer. It's telling that no-one's done a plugin version. Why? It's nothing special. Never was. It was a fine budget instrument back in the day, that's all.

For the same money there are so many current offerings from DSI, Waldorf and even Behringer that will have you exploring the depths of synthesis for years. These eighties budget polys are, yes, hugely over-priced.
You are probably right, but I do love the mojo and when I tested the PolySix a few weeks back, some sounds just took my breath away. None of my VST synths have given me the same vibe. If I put my money in a DSI, I will lose a third of it when I take it out of the shop, give it a few years, half of the money is gone. If I buy a vintage one, I will get my money back (pretty much anyway). I have multiple friends who have bought DSI Rev2 and have has SOOOOOOO much problems with them straight from the shop. One of them even works in the shop and still couldn't get a new one. Then I rather put my money on the mojo.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:40 pm

If you are pondering save investments, you should not go for vintage synthesisers -- the market fluctuates all the time (popular today, discarded tomorrow), and there is always something about to break. If I were you, I'd rather go for some Krügerrand or solid DAX-noted stocks and bonds. A Polysix most certainly is not a save investment (which you will find out once it breaks), quite the opposite -- after all, it is no CS80, Rev. 1/2 Prophet 5, Oberheim Four Voice, or PPG Wave of which minuscule numbers were made. The Polysix was a simple mass-produced instrument which made polyphonic synthesisers affordable to the masses, and it was only made affordable by cutting a lot of corners.

Have you ever considered buying vintage British sportscars instead? They seem to be pretty solid (once fixed), and they do have quite some mojo as well.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

Funklord

Post by Funklord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:01 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:40 pm
If you are pondering save investments, you should not go for vintage synthesisers -- the market fluctuates all the time (popular today, discarded tomorrow), and there is always something about to break. If I were you, I'd rather go for some Krügerrand or solid DAX-noted stocks and bonds. A Polysix most certainly is not a save investment (which you will find out once it breaks), quite the opposite -- after all, it is no CS80, Rev. 1/2 Prophet 5, Oberheim Four Voice, or PPG Wave of which minuscule numbers were made. The Polysix was a simple mass-produced instrument which made polyphonic synthesisers affordable to the masses, and it was only made affordable by cutting a lot of corners.

Have you ever considered buying vintage British sportscars instead? They seem to be pretty solid (once fixed), and they do have quite some mojo as well.

Stephen
Please, Stephen, why are you mocking me?!? If you don't like the PolySix, why bother... I like it, so what?? Yes, I rather buy a P5, but I can't afford one. I DO have the money to buy a PolySix and I like it. I also happen to like buying things that keep some of its value. And I thought this was a VINTAGE synth forum, that's why I posted an honest question here. If you think I'm an idiot, there are thousands of other threads to be involved in...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:40 pm

You asked if it was worth buying. If you don’t like someone’s opinion, why did you ask for it?

A used DSI Evolver, because it’s been around for a while, has had all issues sorted and is past the point when failures most commonly occur in electronics. The asking price has been more stable than the PolySix over the years. And it’s not gonna break like a PolySix. So if investment is a priority, that, or a Virus B, or a V Synth, is the way to go.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Funklord wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:01 pm
[...] And I thought this was a VINTAGE synth forum, that's why I posted an honest question here. [...]
That's true but not every vintage synthesiser is worth the hassle, but have it your way, Dude, have it your way.

Don't say you haven't been warned, never ask for advice if you don't want to listen anyway or if you've already set your mind on something -- there'd be no point in puzzling you with facts in this case.

BTW, you will never have a Prophet 5 if you waste money on useless things rather than saving up for something really useful.

Stephen

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Funklord wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 am
I have multiple friends who have bought DSI Rev2 and have has SOOOOOOO much problems with them straight from the shop. One of them even works in the shop and still couldn't get a new one. Then I rather put my money on the mojo.
I have a DSI Rev2. Mine too had problems at the start.

But the support from DSI / Sequential was excellent. They were very professional, and helped me sort the problem quickly. The faulty part was replaced for free as it was in warranty, and it was an easy fix. It certainly hasn't discouraged me from buying Sequential in the future. Quite the opposite.

Now I have a fully-functioning Rev2, that has a host of modern features with a well-designed interface, allowing me to do both vintage and modern sounds that would be impossible for many vintage polysynths (certainly in   that price range).

It was at that point I wondered whether I should buy vintage again. The Rev2 covers a lot of vintage ground, and it does a lot more. I love its sound, and will keep it for years. Unless I'm going for a specific type of sound that can only come from a particular vintage synth, then I'm not going to bother. And even then, the cost of impending repairs to ageing analogue kit will factor heavily in my mind.

Anyway: as you were, gentlemen...

PS. (Warning: subjective opinion ahead) It sounds waaaay better than an Evolver (ducks and runs for cover) :lol: