Moost Moog for the Buck

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Moost Moog for the Buck

Post by gridsleep » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Which Moog, out of all the Moogs ever made and can be bought right now, delivers the moost Moog for the buck? Max Mooginess against least spendiness. Simple question, right?
"We called ourselves The Farts and couldn't get a venue. Now that we're Colonic Vapor we have a label and everyone wants to book us."

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moost Moog for the Buck

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am

The most Moog for you can get for you money? The one they never made.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/behringer-model-d

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Behringer did such a good job copying the Model D, it even has a triggering bug that existed on the originals :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 pm

:lol: True.

But my desire to complain is somewhat diminished by the sub £300 price tag...

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: OBSX, Prophet VS, Jup 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, Pulse+, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Had a Prodigy & Source (both great) and currently own a reissue MiniMoog D...However, from what I've seen and heard the Grandmother looks a great buy.
Jonny Jones

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 pm

The three cheapest real Moogs you can find readily on the used market would be the Slim Phatty (no keys), Sub Phatty (only 25 keys, only 16 memories) and the Grandmother (no memories at all).

I'd rate the Sub Phatty as the most for the money (about $600), then the Grandmother (about $800), then the Slim Phatty (about $500).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Sub Phatty goes for $800 new. Grandmother is $900. Slim Phatty is only available used, with prices going from about $400 to $1200 depending on how special the seller thinks he is.
"We called ourselves The Farts and couldn't get a venue. Now that we're Colonic Vapor we have a label and everyone wants to book us."

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am

I'd definitely look into the Grandmother (out of context that could sound really weird). The Sub37 is also great if you have the money. Vintage, look out for micromoog or realistic mg-1.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I like the sound of the Grandmother better than any Phatty, the filter and VCOs really give it that vintage modular sound. The sustain slider...meh, if only one slider then how about release? The spring reverb is as much fun as a barrel of monkeys for a little while but I'd really prefer either an analog delay or some digital effect. Lack of patch memories and MIDI control is the deal killer for me, your mileage may vary.

I've started to see them showing up used in eBay and Reverb already, if they drop a little more (say $600) that would be a great deal.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by gridsleep » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am
I'd definitely look into the Grandmother (out of context that could sound really weird). The Sub37 is also great if you have the money. Vintage, look out for micromoog or realistic mg-1.
A Sub 37 would be grand, at a sub Saharan price. As Lao Tzu wrote, Wait long enough by the river bank and you will see all the bodies of your enemies come floating by. That is how I end up snagging my equipment for ridiculous prices. Luck and patience. Not necessarily two things associated with Rock, but it works.

I think Moog named it Grandmother just to snicker at the thought of so many moments of discomfort. I don't like the color scheme. A Teletubby keyboard.