How is this synth sound made?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
PotatoFro

How is this synth sound made?

Post by PotatoFro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm pretty new to synthesis - can anyone point me in the direction for how this synth sound might be made? (the chromatic walk down part that starts at 47 seconds in - see link below).

I can hear there's some glide involved, but other than that I'm lost on what sort of wave form this might be or what combination of sounds might get close.

Thanks!

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Re: How is this synth sound made?

Post by Music Bird » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Not really my kind of music, but I’ll answer anyways.
Sounds like an FM sound. It’s super clean, so probably something like FM8. The brass chord parts after are also FM and very clean sounding. I’m not sure how to program it since I have little experience with FM, but it has glide on it. Check out Dexed and OxeFM, 2 free FM synth plugins.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm

dude, just stop...

The easiest way to do it is to hook an analog drum machine's tom CV/trigger to synthesizer with envelope generator and slow decay and that will control pitch drop, alternatively just arpeggiator, because, as OP noticed, it's chromatic drop.

On a synthesizer, use square wave (50% pulse), attach envelope to pitch (for gliding tom-like sound), attach filter (fully closed, 4-pole LPF, 100% envelope follow) with short decay and high sustain envelope to for the "bang", and there's amp with slow decay envelope. Now you can use keyboard to smack every semitone down the line.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 pm

I agree with ItsMeOnly's assessment. A basic analog synth percussion patch. Sounds cool but it's easy to create.

This is the fun of learning synthesis, what sounds complex is usually quite simple.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.