Tom Oberheim regains use of his trademark name

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, iPad2 running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1 and Mellotronics M3000HD
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Tom Oberheim regains use of his trademark name

Post by alfadawg01 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Tom Oberheim regains use of his trademark name

Post by madtheory » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Great. So they got rid of the nut-jobs from Gibson. Perhaps they gave him the IP for the Cyclone? Would be fab to see that released again. Maybe in a more reliable form, like a plugin.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm

madtheory wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:39 pm
Great. So they got rid of the nut-jobs from Gibson. Perhaps they gave him the IP for the Cyclone? Would be fab to see that released again. Maybe in a more reliable form, like a plugin.
you really think there would be a market for something like that in hardware? *looks at the arduino sitting on his shelf

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm

There surely is. Lots of funky sequencers out there. Basic arpeggiators are popular. A Cyclone with a bigger display would blow people's minds. Have you seen eBay prices for used ones? Consistently €300+ for anything from the Perf X series. Been that way for years.

Several MIDI processing plugins out there too, that seem popular. None of them come near what the Cyclone can do. They all seem to be very basic IMHO.

Ya, Arduino could do it. The issue is reverse engineering what the Cyclone can do.

desmond

Post by desmond » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Seems like something that could fairly easily be done by MIDI software (I think we've talked about this before!)...

There have been some quite sophisticated sequencers/MIDI processors over the years, and that's before you start hitting environments like Max etc... You might even be able to create something like this for Logic's MIDI plugins or the MIDI Scripter. And Logic's touch tracks probably do a lot of what's on offer already... (since v2.x)

I should re-read the Cyclone reviews, really (and the manual), see what's interesting about it... ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Yes looks like touch tracks can do some of it. But not in real time like Cyclone, and without the modulation that Cyclone can use- velocity and aftertouch can control transpose, range, speed, repeat etc.

It could be done in Max but I’ve not seen anything like Cyclone since Max was invented.

Yes we have discussed this before 😃 I think at some point the Zyklus guy was on SOS forum? IIRC he was involved with Gibson working on Cyclone? And apparently Zyklus does a whole lot more?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm

I had a look through the manual and the block diagrams to get a feel for what's going on (the Cyclone - I can't remember much how the Zyklus is configured internally without looking).

Yes, it can do a lot, but I'm sure the reason the box wasn't that successful is that 98% of buyers would I'm sure use it in really basic arpeggiator/delay modes, and not really push it much further.

There's probably some nerdy types (hi!) who would really like to explore, but the complexity is quite high, and it's often difficult to mentally map the performance and parameters to the results you hear, and if you go too far the results get pretty chaotic quite quickly - so I fear the returns probably don't reward the effort to build some kind of Cyclone emulation sequencer.

I think if I was going to look at a project like this, I'd really want to dig into the options and boil them down into something a bit simpler, with more direct rewards/outcomes, and a better and more accessible interface. Some of these algorithmic sequencer things just are so ridiculously complex that I'm sure most people are not inspired by them, and put off by the learning curve. And I think this is why things like the Cyclone, Zyklus, the Hotz box, and other things (remember all those Atari algorithmic generator software programs back in the 90s like M, Realtime and others?) never really took off.

If you were, lets say, going to have a "MIDI performance sequencer/arpeggiator", what would be the kinds of features that you would be most interested in?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:11 pm

madtheory wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 pm
Yes looks like touch tracks can do some of it. But not in real time like Cyclone, and without the modulation that Cyclone can use- velocity and aftertouch can control transpose, range, speed, repeat etc.
You could certainly build some of that kind of thing in the environment, with different transformers and so on that the sequences pass through to modulated and transform. So you have keys/keyobards that trigger sequences, and other keys and controls that modify and change parameters etc.

But really some kind of programming environment would be better...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:44 pm

desmond wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm
If you were, lets say, going to have a "MIDI performance sequencer/arpeggiator", what would be the kinds of features that you would be most interested in?
Um the "Emersonics" preset in the Cyclone, LOL, that's what gets useful results for me most often. Just that, in a plugin, would make me happy. Soz not very geeky!

It's a pig to programme indeed! Even then, I record the results into the DAW and edit them.

Agreed about M. Quite a challenge to use. Cycling '74 still sell it. Looks like a direct port from Mac System 7 I couldn't figure it out LOL.

My hope with this IP release is we could convince Tom to make the Cyclone code public domain. Then figure out how to port it into something modern. IIRC the Perf/X boxes use a standard Intel 8086 platform? I know I'm being vague/ riffing here...

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:39 pm

madtheory wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:44 pm
Um the "Emersonics" preset in the Cyclone, LOL, that's what gets useful results for me most often. Just that, in a plugin, would make me happy. Soz not very geeky!
Yeah, so even you, who are a fan of the box, are largely using one preset... :oops:

What does that preset do, in a roundabout way?
madtheory wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:44 pm
My hope with this IP release is we could convince Tom to make the Cyclone code public domain. Then figure out how to port it into something modern. IIRC the Perf/X boxes use a standard Intel 8086 platform? I know I'm being vague/ riffing here...
Who knows - the code is probably assembly, and he might not have it anyway - all of those assets may well have been handed over to Gibson, and I doubt they were a careful custodian of it - they might have thrown it away by now... just because he got the rights back doesn't mean they handed all the IP back...

Someone should at least ask, though...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm

I can't remember. Studio still in a heap! Only just going through 4 years of tracks/ demos/ works in progress for the next release. I'll PM you a track I did with the Cyclone.

The article does say they gave back name AND IP. But ya, who knows. That stuff, more often than not, gets lost.