Question about hooking up two Arp AXXE synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bingo

Question about hooking up two Arp AXXE synths

Post by Bingo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 am

Greetings,
In my life I've only owned three '70s monosynths...that would be, Black/gold Arp AXXE (w/ppc), a '76 Octave cat original and a Yamaha SY-1 from '75. I still have the latter two synths, but the AXXE I sold when the filter finally died. But looking back, I think I liked the AXXE most even with its most important functions compromised. I just loved the raw sound of the oscillators on that thing. In fact, when I go back on youtube, I find myself liking the black/gold ARP AXXE vids more than the black/gold Odyssey ones. Does anyone happen know if the oscillator design for the AXXE and Ody the same? I always wondered what kind of oscillator it is, and what components might be involved in the sound formation because I really believe the oscillators on the Cat and SY-1 really leave a lot to be desired. The Cat oscillators seem nice at first but really they're thin and shrill, and SY-1 osc is beautiful but delicate, no power. But the Arp AXXE osc had a real punch, some serious balls...like you could feel angry electricity punching through the speakers.

I was wondering, is there some way to connect two AXXE synthesizers together? If two AXXE's can be synced, can you get the two synths/OSC's to have their own output, so you could mix a true stereo synth sound? I also wanted to know will this be monophonic if they could be synced? One thing I love about the Cat is that I can hit a switch for "mono" so the keyboard isn't in duo-phonic mode all the time! I really like this; I love duo-phonic action for sure, but sometimes when playing quick leads mono is preferred. Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to read these questions!!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Question about hooking up two Arp AXXE synths

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am

You can use the CV jacks on the rear to make one Axxe play both instruments. The programming would be completely independent of each other, right down to tuning, which is in some ways more flexible than a 2 osc synth. Yes, it will be monophonic.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 pm

You could also go for something like a Roland MPU-101 and control the synths by using CV/Gate/Trigger and make them sort of duophonic this way.

Bad thing is, the MPU is almost as expensive as an Axxe itself.

Filters have a tendency to go bad on ARP synthesisers but it is a matter of half an hour to pull the module from the main circuit board, another hour or so to hack it open (if it is an encapsulated one), and the component parts that usually go bad are 10 Cent apiece...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Bingo

Post by Bingo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Gentlemen, thank you both for your replies!!

When I acquired the axxe I was still quite young, maybe 18. I paid $250 for it in 2004/2005. I didn't know what I was doing...when I brought it home and played it again realised the Q control did nothing. Then a month later, the FC did nothing! Voila, no sound. But you could alligator clip the osc to the output jack and voila - continuous synth! Finally in 2014 I needed money for other projects, and assuming the Axxe will always be available I sold it, broken, for about 350 which I thought was quite good!

Does anyone notice a difference in sound in the Moog filter Axxes vs the ARP filters? I haven't seen "moog filter" models go for that much more than non in terms of street price.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:12 pm

There's a huge difference in the filters. Go to a store and try out a Korg ARP Odyssey to hear it. It has a switch to select all three filter versions (including the original 2-pole Odyssey filter that preceded the 4-pole "Moog" filter).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:38 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:12 pm
There's a huge difference in the filters. Go to a store and try out a Korg ARP Odyssey to hear it. It has a switch to select all three filter versions (including the original 2-pole Odyssey filter that preceded the 4-pole "Moog" filter).
Just chipping into to agree. It does change the character of the instrument, and is a strong point in favour of the KARP.

Bingo

Post by Bingo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:09 am

Wow, so the new KARP copies the exact same circuit(s) that's in the Oddy/Axxe? I was referring more to the older ones with respect to the moog filter copy vs following revision.

Does anyone know, is the oscillator in the 1975 Axxe the same as the 1975 Odyssey? I'm not anywhere near an advanced enough state to compare schematics!

I'm still pretty h**l bent on getting back that mid 70s Axxe I once had. I feel a sense of magic on those older machines. Maybe that's just the psychology of playing an instrument you know to be 45 years of age!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 am

Bingo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:09 am
Wow, so the new KARP copies the exact same circuit(s) that's in the Oddy/Axxe? [...]
That's what they claim to be doing -- I had a feeling they were copying the VCO design of the Mk. III (because of its stability) and combined it with various VCF types from ARP's history (for tonal flexibility). Comparing the new model with an original white-face Odyssey, I found the original to be more gutty and fuzzier-sounding than the later rendition, less stable but a lot more animated The new one excelled at precision and stability.

Even though I can relate to the sense of "magic" the original devices had, I would be in favour of the Korg Odyssey FS as -- in terms of price -- you get better value than buying two vintage AXXEs that might be in need of some overhaul.

In terms of features, the Odyssey certainly is the better bet anyway.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/